There's good reasons to support your local bike store, but it can take away part of the fun of working on your own bike. GJB Motorcycles are highly recommended in Hanham, Bristol. However, after having a bike for the last 6 years I've yet to give them any work, apart from the MOT test. Luckily, all the work my bikes have needed I've been able to do myself, and none of the jobs have been difficult.

However, when it comes to buying bits I couldn't agree more with WR6133, as a recent trip to Fowlers for a set of plugs for the Blackbird revealed, they asked for £89, yes, I kid you not. I tried buying them through a trade account, but didn't have any paper work, so they offered a 10% discount! big deal!

Thankfully, I'd got a check price off the net before buying, but having never bought these plugs before I could have thought, they're expensive at least I can save a few quid by fitting them myself? Bought them via the net for £36 including carriage, this may be one reason why people are choosing to avoid the local bike shop.