Notices

Thread: Support your local motorbike store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Support your local motorbike store 
    Platinum Member
    I went into GM Stevens yesterday and they have shrunk their sales area again - I assume to reduce their business rates.

If we don't use them we will loose them!
    If you need anything guys & gals can you try to buy from them or they might not be around for long.

I buy all my maintenance gear from them and I consider myself a regular customer.

Over to you guys......

Platinum Member
    I hope they go under, more sales for my motorbike store ;-)

I don't get the nostalgia for bricks and mortar stores I buy from wherever is selling what I want cheapest which is now generally online.

really makes us feel like carrying on trading these last two comments.. GMS help us and we help them, Missens , Richard Stevens, Phoenix we are all struggling over these months but the bills still keep comming. probably harder when you are dedicated one off MX shop like Midwest, MX Zone or Motoextreme as customer base is smaller. OK buy it cheaper on the internet but when it goes wrong have fun trying to sort it or even fit things that dont actually fit or need adjusting. problem is many bikes have been modded by owners or previous owners, GMS need to keep as much stock as they can but there is no money in dead stock until it sells.
    seriously thinking about closing and just doing my own bikes at least it would save me £1200 a year in insurance. and a lot of grief from scooter riders who keep fiddling, and bikes stuck in the garage for 4 or 5 years that owners want back on the road next day!!

I often go in nutz4bikes in Trowbridge and buy most of my stuff there, they are very helpful and will go the extra mile. Maybe some stuff is a few quid cheaper online but they then have to send it and you will struggle to return if faulty. Nutz also have an online shop.

gm have always given me fantastic service, sometimes its not about the price but more about convienience, sure online is cheaper but I just love being able to walk away with what I've paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooj View Post
    I hope they go under, more sales for my motorbike store ;-)
    I've often considered using your services................ Not anymore.

(Maybe some stuff is a few quid cheaper online but they then have to send it and you will struggle to return if faulty.) quote..

i bought a headlight for lukes xj6 online,which didnt fit quite right so had to return it..returning was ok but boy did i have difficulty getting the refund back,excuses a plenty..got there in the end but it was hard work..

generally i do buy online for cheaper prices but recently have been using actual stores because of having to explain details(not easy by email)and i have found the parts service at blade swindon to be very helpful and courteous..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

I often us GM Stevens. The staff are helpful and more friendly than the service I have experienced at the other bike shop in the town.

called in yesterday to buy and for a chat, business to business. they feel the same way as we do. the landlord wants to put up the rent so minimizing to save money. as they said , at least they are paying rent , the landlords don't seem to realise if they don't collect rent they are loosing money both in rent and having to pay business rates as well. they are also feeling like us, bikes are generally toys nowadays. OK we have a couple of customers who ride 5 or 6 days a week to work but the rest on our books are low use riders. recently we have had to put bikes back on the road after 5 years off, then the decision is do I keep it? not so much shall I ride it! Back in the sixties when the Mini and Reliant's were invented things were slowing down , now we are going the same way. put the word round and try to get more friends, work mates , family on two wheels