Notices

Thread: RIP Mandela

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Funny, but on Muppet forum really not here.

It's blokes like him that give us the freedom to write & laugh at almost anything without fear.
    With my bike I am complete.

Banned
    Well I'm sure he will be happy that I have exercised my freedom to add a little humour to this thread

Active Member Thorkill_The_Tall's Avatar
    Mourners have started to gather outside Nelson Mandela's house.
    Del Boy and Rodney have told 'em to bugger off.

A terrorist that opposes a brutal regime is still a terrorist.
    I think too much praise is being heaped onto the mans shoulders and he'd be the first to admit it.

Diamond Member
    I could not disagree more Dan - I suppose it depends on how you define terrorism and what you believe constitutes an act of terrorism. There are still calls for Tony Blair and George Bush to both face trial for war crimes. It was the white rulers in south Africa who terrorised the blacks. IMHO Mandela was a freedom fighter who was worthy of all the praise and some more. As were the members of the French resistance fighters who took up arms against an oppressive regime during the second world war.
    Last edited by redken1; 10-12-13 at 04:38 PM.

I'm sorry Ken but the French resistance didn't bomb civilian train stations and accept funding from dictators who practiced the same brutal tyranny as the people they were fighting against.
    That's how I define "terrorism".
    On his release from prison he became an inspiration for many and renounced his former actions. His links to Gadafi will always be questionable though.
    Holding him in the same regard as MLK or Ghandi, like many are doing, is proposterous.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Nothing wrong with changing your mindset - the Good Friday Agreement would be nothing without people being brave enough to accept change.

The change in mindset of FW de Klerk sped-up the demise of apartheid.

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pilninggas View Post
    Nothing wrong with changing your mindset - the Good Friday Agreement would be nothing without people being brave enough to accept change.

The change in mindset of FW de Klerk sped-up the demise of apartheid.
    I agree with your comments about changing your mind set Merv. If there is one issue which I give Blair credit for was his part in the Northen Ireland peace process. However, I would certainly question the sincerity of PM Cameron's glowing tributes to Mandela. IMO it was no more than a salesman's pitch and predictably so.

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    I agree with your comments about changing your mind set Merv. If there is one issue which I give Blair credit for was his part in the Northen Ireland peace process. However, I would certainly question the sincerity of PM Cameron's glowing tributes to Mandela. IMO it was no more than a salesman's pitch and predictably so.
    Cameron is a PR obsessive and looks at any opportunity to score 'voter points'. But it is worth illustrating that even a conservative view can be progressive.
    Last edited by pilninggas; 11-12-13 at 06:30 PM.