Notices

Thread: Parking a Motorcycle in Salisbury

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Parking a Motorcycle in Salisbury 
    After reading several articles in the Salisbury Journal about a person getting a ticket for parking his motorbike in a car park, and others had asked parking wardens who did not know but suggested buying a ticket. I thought I would try and find out if you have to pay to park your motorcycle. After searching the Wiltshire Council website and not finding the answer, I decided to send them an email and ask the question, where can I park my motorcycle and do I have to pay?

Below is the email I received back.

Dear Mr XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your email.

There are specified motorcycle bays in many of our Salisbury car parks and you may park in these free of charge. Alternatively you may park in any parking bay in our car parks (a list and map of car parks can be seen here) free of charge.
    http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingt...area=Salisbury

I hope this information helps.

Yours sincerely

Josh Jones
    Processing Officer
    Parking Services
    Environment Services
    Wiltshire Council
    Monkton Park
    Chippenham
    SN15 1ER

TEL: 01249 706131
    Email: parking@wiltshire.gov.uk

Follow Wiltshire Council
    Last edited by Silver Bird; 28-11-13 at 06:55 PM. Reason: add website link

Does that apply to the whole of Wiltshire I wonder..
    it'll be useful to know you can park your bike in any bay free of charge !
    Often on rideouts we could fill the designated motorcycle bay several times over!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Personally I would be inclined to read the bylaws posted for the car park before parking in a bay without a ticket just to be on the safe side.
    Also I'm not sure if all the car parks in Salisbury are Wiltshire Council or Salisbury City Council operated. That may make a difference.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

The link on my post lists all the Wiltshire Council run car parks.

Brown Street is Wilts Council but the signs in the car park state motorcycles only in motorcycle bays and not in marked car bays (which are on the larger side of the car park near the recycling skips), they are keen on this as I parked there last week couldn't fit in the motorcycle bay, due to chavvy ped retards parking at stupid angles and blocking it all up, and ended up having an argument with some jobsworth when I parked in a car bay.

I live in Smalsbury and never had a problem with parking. Saying that, I did contact the council when we moved into our house as it only has residents parking that you have to pay annually. They said I need a ticket for my bike and to put it into a tax disc holder. What crap. Spoke to a friend of mine that is a traffic warden (someone has to do it) and she said they usually turn a blind eye to bikes. I did not get my ticket, been parking outside the house for many years now and never got a ticket.

If in doubt could you not put a cover over your bike when parked as by law they are not allowed to touch your property and if they move the cover they are risking damage to your cover and/or bike. Not sure on the law for this.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

if it anything like Bristol you can park a motorbike anywhere in one of there carparks for free

When 6 of us all got tickets in a Swindon car park I appealed, I think a few did. And didn't have to pay. They sent a list of all free car parks in the town, but I have no idea it or they are now lol

Thanks Silver Bird, don't park in Salisbury very often but useful to know

I asked the council since they've now got rid of the two best and safest bike parking areas in favour of yet more disabled spaces.

They said about the marked bike bays in car parks but also in any of the on street parking spaces for free up to the maximum permitted time. This is usually 2 hours but check the signs.

So there it is, I can park my monkey bike in the road, locked to nothing and it'll be perfectly safe, nobody will run it over or move it so they can park.
    I think not.

--------------------------------
    On the road to nowhere