Notices

Thread: handlebar muffs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    If you buy tucano urbano muffs you don't have to cut anything and they cannot press on your levers.

--------------------------------
    On the road to nowhere

^This, i'm loving mine right now and suffer no whitefinger at 5am over 21 miles.

Platinum Member
    I didn't like the Oxford Muffs I bought. They were in my mirrors and obscuring my observation.
    I got on better with heated gloves (I have Keiss inner gloves), oh and a waistcoat too.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
    I didn't like the Oxford Muffs I bought. They were in my mirrors and obscuring my observation.
    I got on better with heated gloves (I have Keiss inner gloves), oh and a waistcoat too.
    I've got Keis outer gloves and a waistcoat too - I get too hot and have to turn them off!!
    Definitely recommended.

I have fitted the muffs - had to cut them about a bit but they now fit snug and don't get in the way. I even put small holes either side of the cuts and sewed button holes into them and threaded cable ties through to keep them in place.
    Also got some new inner gloves that seem okay but hands still cold, come to realise that my "winter" gloves need replacing and if it's still too cold after that then heated grips/gloves are next.
    If my commute was under 30 mins I would be fine but near 40 mins and things are getting numb!

Killer Rat
    Word of warning guys, my mechanic (keith master-tec) recommends not to mess with honda electrics or any bike electrics for that matter with adding additional electrical load.

Recently forked out for new rectifier and magneto all becuase of some tiny 1.5w DRL's fitted under main headlight. Heated grips i find a big gimmick. If you are the type of biker that likes to rest his clutch hand by taking it off the grip, the heated grip then becomes useless in the cold wind and will take sometime to warm up again.

Just a few points to consider, like i say before my set-up of urbano fleece muffs and summer gloves does the job over my 21 mile trip to work at 5am and im perfectly able to roll a ciggie as soon as i dismount. Win.

60,000 miles on a pan European with heated grips, insoles and jacket plus sat nav and phone chargers and not a glimpse of trouble.
    Nor on the others before it.

As for a gimmick, you want to try the odd 350 mile ride back from Paris during darkness in the middle of winter. Some people are just full of fairy stories.

--------------------------------
    On the road to nowhere

Such an odd recommendation from a master mechanic ? My pan has loads of after market goodies fitted...no problems in over six years with any of it. Smaller machine may well have limited options ,but anyone with electrickery expience should be able to work out if any bike would struggle to run something, problems usually are the result of a bad installation . Today's alarm and immobiliser systems fitted to vehicles often prove to be more of a barrier to fitting extra stuff rather than the stuff it's self. Often easier to dissuade the idea than go down that long and lonely road ;-)

Killer Rat
    When you put it like that Andy, i guess Keith was talking balls. Good mechanic, but the advice he gives is a bit harsh and likes bikes to stay as they are.

Platinum Member
    my mechanic (keith master-tec) recommends not to mess with honda electrics or any bike electrics for that matter with adding additional electrical load
    Sounds a bit odd to me too.
    I know plenty of riders who have heated waistcoats, gloves, insoles, seats, satnavs etc.

But I do operate my gloves from a battery. One of the reasons is to avoid loading the bike (or use the bike for something else like a waistcoat), another reason is that you aren't attached to the bike and the third reason is that you can then use the gloves fishing/cycling/walking/watching the rugby etc.

Slave power source is a good call :-) also leaves the loom intact if you want to swop anything over to a new ride ;-)