Notices

Thread: Help, I may actually buy a Royal Enfield!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How about MT 350/500 something like this? eBay item 281214013012. A mate had a 350, tough as old boots but a bit underpowered (in his view). British made by Armstrong CCM with reliable Rotax engine, capable off road, customise it to your own spec and no I don't think you would be tempted to clean it too often!

Whatever you choose; enjoy it.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Jon, you make a strong case for a 'golden oldie', my only experience of Brit bikes were a bloody mad Armstrong scrambler and a James Commodore. The James was a lovely little bike but painfully slow, not really usable as couldn't keep up with modern traffic. Time for some flea bay 'research' on a few Brit bikes
    I have a Tiger Cub and that will cruise at 45-50 and can accelerate with the cars. I've ridden a couple of 350's and these would easily hold 50-55 and followed a 500 holding a nice steady 70!

Bear in mind that the Enfield bikes are 90% 60's brit bikes and will be no faster, in fact with modern emmisions controls they could even be slower!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    How about MT 350/500 something like this? eBay item 281214013012. A mate had a 350, tough as old boots but a bit underpowered (in his view). British made by Armstrong CCM with reliable Rotax engine, capable off road, customise it to your own spec and no I don't think you would be tempted to clean it too often!

having had modern CCM's watch for a Suzuki freewind powered 440 as base gaskets were too thin on early ones. the bigger 644 were good but try an earlier 604 rotax powered one. these can go out to 720cc, for a single thumper that's a lot of cc.
    alternatively a CanAM 250 2 stroke ex army as well another reliable trailie
    the canam250 was the earlier 2 stroke version of the 350 and 500 Armstrongs also known as Harley Davidsons 4 strokes.

Thanks Jed, I'm one of the watchers on that bike at the moment , tbh I already have a KDX200SR so not really after a 'proper' off roader more something with a street scrambler style, able to take on the odd muddy track and that's a bit different. A RE is still on the radar, it's sickness I know ; )

Another thought, particularly if you don't need a 'proper' off-roader, is the BMW F650. I picked up a good low mileage (yr2000 and 20k) example via eBay for £970, so decent bikes are about. I have always had a soft spot for the Royal Enfields but I'm not sure how I would get on with one as I am now used to riding more modern bikes. As always best thing is to try one out then choose.

*****UPDATE*****
    I've only gone and done it, I'll be picking up a Royal Enfield Bullet this weekend! It's a 2008 500cc Bullet which means fuel injection, electric start (kick as well), left side gear change, disc front brake, (made in India) piggy back shocks, iffy chrome plating and 27'ish bhp. It's only done 4000 miles but is a strange mixture of nice condition paintwork and chrome in some place with plenty of rusty fasteners, welds and peeling chrome in others.
    The aim is to convert it to a street scrambler but not end up with something I'm too proud to use in muddy lanes, foul weather and slippery conditions - pass the Hammerite!

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it.
    Thanks Jed and thanks for your efforts at suggesting alternatives, unfortunately not able to persuade me ; )

I'll post a few lines on my initial experience once I get the RE, didn't get it this last weekend as it's in Plymouth, 3 hours from me and there is a bit of water about down here at the moment.

Good stuff.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Here you are Trev......couple of acquaintances I know Bob and Dave....they love their Enfields and have a great time out and about...join in mate they will make you very welcome ...say Justarider sent you...it won't help but they'll know

http://thelonelyones.forumcircle.com/index.php
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!