Notices

Thread: Help, I may actually buy a Royal Enfield!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    As an alternative, have you thought of the honda CL400?
    Jon, no I haven't, thanks for that and also suggestion to buy an older on, both ideas for me to throw into the thought process. Initially what puts me off both is that I don't want something that I end up being too precious about but open to changing my mind

Quote Originally Posted by wheelers View Post
    just sold a 2000 enfield bullet 500, just like a normal bullet apart from poor finish, corrosion and rust better than chinese quality but not as good as british. it was ridden to Leicester and lost side cover lock on way!! not bad as thats all it lost on a 100 mile trip!
    word of warning is cylinder heads , you can pick up porous ones . when I did one a few weeks ago for another customer they said it wasnt a regular fault only had 3 that week!! the other thing is they are prone to dropping exhaust vallve guide.
    to impregnate the head and rebuild is around £150, to do the guide and re cut seat around ~£100 . oversize guides available.
    As Jon said , buy original, will keep its value. our 2000 sold for £1400, but I have seen them at £2000 down to £900 it really is take your pick.
    I'm looking at post 2005 model as quality is supposed to have improved, especially the motor, but then they would say that! Not looking for it to be my regular ride or do too many miles on and I'm not averse to a bit of light spanner twirling so not being totally reliable is not s big concern although I'm hoping not to have it broken down every time I want to use it.

Thanks to a couple of others who have suggested Triumph scrambler, definitely a better bike in every department but not sure I'll get one for the money I'm thinking of (£2 - 3K) and too heavy and powerful for what I want + again don't want a 'pride and joy'.

C'mon guys and girls, you're going to need to try harder than that to talk me out of it!!

Chatterbox
    Talk you out of it ?

Nope, do it
    Everything else is shyte

Talk you OUT of buying a bike..... I'm trying to talk you IN to it!!!

Just don't buy an immaculate 60's bike. Enfield spares are plentyful and not expensive as many parts are still made. The usual horror stories about drum brakes are not true. The brakes are weaker, but you won't be going as fast and the bikes are lighter. Brit bike handling is superb, and the styling and build quality is far superior of anything made in India. The reliability will be better as there is less to go wrong (especially electrically). Also there is free tax, classic insurance and less regs.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

I know this is not what you're looking for but its a mighty fine example of what can be done to a bog standard Bonneville Bobber/ Flat tracker ..............check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDqTKRzYAUE

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    I know this is not what you're looking for but its a mighty fine example of what can be done to a bog standard Bonneville Bobber/ Flat tracker ..............check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDqTKRzYAUE
    Thanks DC, now that is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    Talk you OUT of buying a bike..... I'm trying to talk you IN to it!!!

Just don't buy an immaculate 60's bike. Enfield spares are plentyful and not expensive as many parts are still made. The usual horror stories about drum brakes are not true. The brakes are weaker, but you won't be going as fast and the bikes are lighter. Brit bike handling is superb, and the styling and build quality is far superior of anything made in India. The reliability will be better as there is less to go wrong (especially electrically). Also there is free tax, classic insurance and less regs.
    Jon, you make a strong case for a 'golden oldie', my only experience of Brit bikes were a bloody mad Armstrong scrambler and a James Commodore. The James was a lovely little bike but painfully slow, not really usable as couldn't keep up with modern traffic. Time for some flea bay 'research' on a few Brit bikes

Nice Enfield here.............
    Last edited by DC; 22-11-13 at 11:17 PM.

And here............

Both of the above can be found here.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...ield+scrambler