Notices

Thread: Help, I may actually buy a Royal Enfield!!

Hybrid View

Talk you OUT of buying a bike..... I'm trying to talk you IN to it!!!

Just don't buy an immaculate 60's bike. Enfield spares are plentyful and not expensive as many parts are still made. The usual horror stories about drum brakes are not true. The brakes are weaker, but you won't be going as fast and the bikes are lighter. Brit bike handling is superb, and the styling and build quality is far superior of anything made in India. The reliability will be better as there is less to go wrong (especially electrically). Also there is free tax, classic insurance and less regs.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    Talk you OUT of buying a bike..... I'm trying to talk you IN to it!!!

Just don't buy an immaculate 60's bike. Enfield spares are plentyful and not expensive as many parts are still made. The usual horror stories about drum brakes are not true. The brakes are weaker, but you won't be going as fast and the bikes are lighter. Brit bike handling is superb, and the styling and build quality is far superior of anything made in India. The reliability will be better as there is less to go wrong (especially electrically). Also there is free tax, classic insurance and less regs.
    Jon, you make a strong case for a 'golden oldie', my only experience of Brit bikes were a bloody mad Armstrong scrambler and a James Commodore. The James was a lovely little bike but painfully slow, not really usable as couldn't keep up with modern traffic. Time for some flea bay 'research' on a few Brit bikes

And here............

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Jon, you make a strong case for a 'golden oldie', my only experience of Brit bikes were a bloody mad Armstrong scrambler and a James Commodore. The James was a lovely little bike but painfully slow, not really usable as couldn't keep up with modern traffic. Time for some flea bay 'research' on a few Brit bikes
    I have a Tiger Cub and that will cruise at 45-50 and can accelerate with the cars. I've ridden a couple of 350's and these would easily hold 50-55 and followed a 500 holding a nice steady 70!

Bear in mind that the Enfield bikes are 90% 60's brit bikes and will be no faster, in fact with modern emmisions controls they could even be slower!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"