Notices

Thread: Would you use a WB biker destination cafe/diner/pub?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Would you use a WB biker destination cafe/diner/pub? 
    Just out of interest, if such a place existed (and was on an easily accessible road, good level parking, plenty of room) that was aimed specifically at bikers - good quality low cost food and drinks, regular events, etc - would it be somewhere you think you'd visit lots as a local biker?

Venues such as Hilltop Diner seem to struggle, but others seem to thrive.

Just out of interest to see if people would get bored of visiting the same place often, or whether somewhere to become a regular haunt would be popular
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

We'd visit, but it is the drink-drive etc.
    If there was a possible camping site or a field that could be used, when attending 'events' like at Calne this year, it makes the whole event look far more attractive.
    Especially when you both ride/drive...and you both enjoy a glass of pop or three.

I am with Annie on this one, the issue of drink-driving is massive and could cause issues for people riding further afield.

The top big meets I used to go to in Shropshire died a death because of the amount of riders who were caught drink-riding. Meant more police turning up and killed the atmosphere, a large group of people got irate at the police as we were being "targeted."

Big pubs and loads of people there kind of makes sense not to drink because the police aren't silly. The events were always good at these venues and they often had the Bike Safety guys up there, assessed rides and advice were all part of going. It is a good idea and if somebody is willing to bite the bullet I am sure it will be popular.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    Just out of interest to see if people would get bored of visiting the same place often...
    I would, but I like variety.

I think we're quite lucky round here with a pretty good choice.

It must be hard making a living running a bikers only cafe/diner unless you do it big time with something like the Ace Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    Just out of interest, if such a place existed (and was on an easily accessible road, good level parking, plenty of room) that was aimed specifically at bikers - good quality low cost food and drinks, regular events, etc - would it be somewhere you think you'd visit lots as a local biker?

Venues such as Hilltop Diner seem to struggle, but others seem to thrive.

Just out of interest to see if people would get bored of visiting the same place often, or whether somewhere to become a regular haunt would be popular
    If you can achieve the bolded bit then yes. Some places struggle because they charge silver service prices for some of the worst fry ups I have ever eaten. Or they just make half assed efforts at "bike nights" on tiny premises that just aren't suited.

And like Annie says somewhere people can doss if they indulge a little too much on an event. Even if it's just a patch of grass out back where you can string up a poncho.

Alcohol wasn't even on my radar tbh - I was thinking of something similar to hilltop diner, or a decent roadside cafe or the one we like in Shaftesbury etc..my fault for saying pub in the title. Sorry guys..let me change it

The background to the question is from a business associate I know who's a biker and considering opening something, so asked me to canvas opinion
    Last edited by Dabz; 15-11-13 at 06:29 PM.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

The Ace café is a good example of a meeting point for the whole of the country. usually a good ride out and back for a day or enroute to London. Problem here is finding a place big enough for a lot of parking for bike events but needs to be able to pull the punters during the rest of the week. Ace has the name and reputation BUT things have changed in the last 50 years. Do people nowadays really want to stop somewhere now as their bikes dont need to rest like the old days.
    those of us old enough can remember 2 pubs in one village, along with a garage and fuel pumps and shop , look how many pubs/ garages and shops have closed between Chippenham and Lyneham since 1970. times have changed and peoples circumstances have also changed.
    not putting a damper on it but look also at how many bike shops have closed in the same time, would a road side café survive in todays world?
    we are close to closing the business as more and more bikers use forum friends and kids on scooters get their mates to help until they totally mess things up.

the main reason for bikers meeting are shows and events and once a week bike nights, look at the H&C compared to Poole, a bike café would need to establish itself with features and entertainment or good food preferably with camping and toilets with parking and shop and petrol pump nearby.

good quality low cost food and drinks, entertainment etc, then you will attract people who are not only bikers. if you can appeal to all then it will succeed surely? if you target bikers only then i think it would fall on its face. open it to car clubs and the general public and i can't imagine (providing the location is good) it would struggle.

Lots of people pop to fowlers for a mooch around, generally ending up in the cafe, sometimes its good to have a venue you could just pop out too if you had an hour or so spare, have a chat and a bite to eat, especially as there's nothing like that in our area. I have had the same conversation with some of my non biking mates, and they thought it would be a good idea, not just for bikers, but where people can arrive and have a look around the bikes.

Diamond Member
    Why is Loomies so successful? It has a big parking area, serves decent grub and has some great riding roads on the way there and back. For me, it needs all those things. Same reason why loads of peeps ride all the way to Abergavenny to have a burger in a bus park.