Notices

Thread: Why do so many drivers use mobiles whilst driving?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Why do so many drivers use mobiles whilst driving? 
    Having just narrowly avoided being squashed by a van driver more intent on chatting on his phone than concentrating on his driving I again wonder why the Police just dont seem interested in taking action on drivers openly breaking the law?

I really am puzzled.

I'm sure we all see it day in, day out - loads of people texting and chatting whilst driving.

Go on YouTube and you'll find loads of videos showing near misses with drivers using phones too.

If nothing else it would be such a money maker with all the fines that could be issued.

I guess one day it'll become as socially unacceptable as driving without a seatbelt and drink driving?

They probably see it as too much effort to bother with. Short of a photo/video the driver could deny it till blue in the face and then its down to who is believed in court (with the burden of proof on the coppers). Unless they cause an accident I guess it's too much bother/cost to do stuff like check phone records for times of calls etc.

There are 3 things, when driving/riding, that will get 'my gander' up .
    Lane discipline on roundabouts, the white lines are there for a reason.
    Use or lack of use of indicators and
    Mobile phone usage............well to get all three in one go, you can imagine...............
    I was on my Trike, entered a 3 lane roundabout to turn right, IDIOT in middle lane, on phone, came into my lane and was forcing me towards the kerb of the island, no indication on his part.
    Luckily it was summer and his window was down, I really shouted at him 'get of the f**king phone, he had no clue I was there and nearly s**t himself, but the look on his face was an absolute picture, talk about guilty.... I just went on my way laughing

Banned
    I don't understand why people don't fit hands free kits if they want to use a phone while driving. I have one fitted in my van and use it if I really must for work. My car doesn't have one and I don't bother using the phone anyway but if I did I'd just pull over. Most of the time when I'm out on my bike my phones at home
    I wish they'd never been invented, bloody things

The most annoying thing is when there are two people in the car and the driver is on the phone while the passenger isn't. Why don't they just pass the phone over????

Would it change people's driving if they had to have a B (for bad driver) sticker if they lost points from there license like naming and shaming some drivers see red at L plates in front of them. Guess it's sometimes a ego thing on the way road user's are treated by other road user's
    Thinking back there was a time where you would get in a taxi who had on hand on his CB it's how you drive and other people making allowance for you that can save life's. Drive safely hope you all only see sandwiches on you're plate.
    Last edited by Birdylegs; 11-11-13 at 07:29 PM.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

I've had 2 occasions recently when a driver (on a roundabout) was on the phone and didn't even know I was there. I didn't report them to the police .... but may be next time, I might be annoyed enough to get them prosecuted, if my life if endangered.
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

My funniest was in my car and the woman behind was yapping on the phone but not paying attention, as my car is an old banger I slowed right down with the gears and not the brakes... It was worth it to see her drop the phone so I gave her the phones 4 U sign.
    she was still going bonkers miles up the road as I was still laughing.

when I'm on the bike I assume everyone drives like a 6 year old so it's no surprise when they don't indicate or do cut you up. I nearly kicked someone's door on a roundabout the other day as they didn't look and cut across the roundabout.

as for the police, there are less on the roads and most are going somewhere so haven't the time to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanboy View Post
    I've had 2 occasions recently when a driver (on a roundabout) was on the phone and didn't even know I was there. I didn't report them to the police .... but may be next time, I might be annoyed enough to get them prosecuted, if my life if endangered.
    and you honestly reckon the Police would take any notice if you did report them?

Where I work it is written in to our contract that if you are caught using a mobile phone while on company business this will be gross misconducted and may lead to dismissal.Maybe all company's should do this, may stop of some of these van drivers and so called professional drivers from using their phones while driving.
    Last edited by Silver Bird; 13-11-13 at 09:06 PM. Reason: wrong size font

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bird View Post
    Where I work it is written in to our contract that if you are caught using a mobile phone while on company business this will be gross misconducted and may lead to dismissal.Maybe all company's should do this, may stop of some of these van drivers and so called professional drivers from using their phones while driving.
    It is probably their bosses who are on the other end issuing instructions in many cases.