Notices

Thread: Are we the soft touch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Are we the soft touch? 
    I’ve been thinking about this for a while now but postponed the post until the weekend passed.
    I have got to thinking that we are being looked at as some kind of money making machine. I did the first 2 ride of respects and helped at the base of the 3rd. But it has occurred to me that this sort of event looks like becoming some kind of cash cow. Sadly, successive governments’ failings have ensured that charities are having to work harder in order to get a slice of the pie. However, it would appear that the pie is getting bigger. It would appear that “bikers” being asked to “go for a ride” to generate some cash is on the increase. Events like Ride of respect, Martha Care, Ride to the wall, Hogging the bridge and now the ring of red which it appears, will become an annual event, are increasing. Now, I understand the value of these events but are they necessary? The ring of red at the weekend saw up to 15000 bikes going around in a circle on the M25. Not something I wanted to do to be honest. That’s a personal choice. I can think of lots of better ways to spend a Sunday. This event was Bourne out of respecting the fallen, Surely that’s what remembrance Sunday is for?
    I’m not trying to court controversy here but wanted to see what your feelings are about them. Are we being “taken for a ride”?
    Before any of you go off on one about me being selfish etc etc I want to point out that I have a charitable nature. I am the first to dig in my pockets. It just seems to me that when someone wants some cash these days, they turn to the good ol’ British Biker?
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

I question sometimes the intent behind some of the events organised. I've seen a few bandied about that I don't think entirely had charity in mind.

There is a 125cc riding club up north that have lately been spamming a lot of forums asking for donations for a Lands End to John o Groats run. They seem to want to use some of the "sponsorship" to pay for fuel, a support van and other costs to cover their 3 day jaunt....... but they are doing it all for "charity".

As to the remembrance/forces ones as an ex serviceman who had some very hard times after I got out and still have PTSD issues to this day, the only charity I have any respect for is the British Legion. Those guys got me on my feet after I did some prison time shortly after becoming a Civilian, put money in my hand to get a roof over my head and did it all with understanding and a smile, the other "forces" charities (in my experience) are a shower of ****e and I wouldn't donate a single penny if I was a billionaire.

Milking bikers I think is just a savvy business move, it's relatively easy to mobilise large numbers, many have disposable cash and it is a great way to grab a headline (this being the main thing as headlines equal more donations).

I'm deeply cynical of Charity in General though. My brothers ex worked for a reasonably well known one and I was told in detail about the high end entertaining and 5 star hotel jaunts that were all paid for, alongside the tactics they used to get their name associated with successes that they actually played very little part in.

I totally agree with you.
    "Charity" is big business. Think of it as a government with the minions doing all the work "for the greater good" while the management sit around barking orders, skimming off of the top.
    Why are there so many charities collecting for the same thing? Why don't they join forces and create one big charity?
    Because there is money to be made and pockets to line but they ease their social conscience by giving some of it to the needy.

A good example is the charity skydive/jungle trek/2 weeks in the maldives etc. You want people to basically pay for you to do something that you've always wanted to do and whatever is left over give to charity.

I know it's an effective way of getting charity but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

I was only chatting with my other half about that yesterday.

I dont do the charity rides myself, doesnt mean I dont give to charity, but just dont mix the two.

I cant help feeling bikers are targeted for money making BUT no one is forced to go along and lots of bikers do so they must be happy doing them. Each to their own

If I wanted to raise awareness of a charity/fund raise to be honest it would be one of the first ways I'd look at doing it.

Here's the thing that is Bugging me about the ring of red.
    According to the organiser the cash donated was "£2348.64 plus a washer and a button". I think we can agree that's a fair sum. Now sadly we can almost guarantee that out of 15000 bikers there were one or two "offs" either on the ride or in the journeys to and from. If the air ambulance even had just one call out during the day in any area, that £2348.64 has been negated straight away. So effectively the £2348 is made by one charity at the cost of another!
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

To be honest I'm astounded they only raised that from 15,000 bikers - thats less than 16p from each biker!

I'd have been extremely disappointed as an organiser if that was all they raised.

I take your point but if you take that sort of view point about the potential of incurring the cost of calling out the Air Ambulance you wouldnt ever participate in any 'dangerous' activity.

15,000 bikers obviously wanted to attend the Ride and were happy doing so.

That's about 15 pence donated by each biker..... is it a figure of what was in the collection buckets or a figure after any "deductions" have been taken because it seems awfully low for the numbers involved.

If you look on the latest BBC report it says ''The actual number of bikers that took part is not known, but Ms Stevenson had estimated that about 15,000 were needed in order to complete "the world's largest poppy".''

I reckon to have raised £2,300 for the RBL they either had a lot less bikes or some huge costs.

Couldn't agree more Neil , have felt this for some time now but not being an ex-serviceman was always reluctant to raise issues such as these for fear of being branded unsympathetic or disrespectful . Large charities are a gravy train and relieve our governments , in a way of the responsibility of supporting troops and their familes rehabilitation after traumatic experiences , the likes of which the vast majority of us luckily will never even get a glimpse of , sending them God knows where in the name of God knows what and then tugging at The Great British public heartstrings and expecting them , in the form of taxes and charitable donations to foot the bill because after all they take these decisions............ On our behalf.

Diamond Member
    Before I offer my views on this thread I wish to emphasise that it is not my aim to make political points. I do find it difficult however, to separate politics from issues relating to charities considering that some like ‘Help for Heroes’ exist as a direct consequence of decisions made by our politicians. I never attend biker or other organised events when there is a compulsory charge because I believe it goes against the whole spirit of the charitable ethos. This is unfortunate from my point of view because some of these events I would like to attend and would probably contribute more on a voluntarily basis. To answer Neil’s question I’don’t think the ever increasing size of the begging bowl is extended exclusively to the biking community, but is more widespread. Charities and Voluntary organisations are victims of their own success to a certain degree in terms of the more they raise and address their respective causes, the more the state will place a burden on them. Hmmmm! This brings me on to the ‘Big Society.’
    I am not criticizing the vast army of kind-hearted volunteers who give up so much of their free time playing an active role in their communities. But and a big but, there is a price to be paid – in many areas and situations volunteers are now doing the work which was paid employment in the past. That’s fine if we wish to continue along this path as long as the charities are prepared to take on more and more. I know some may find this is a controversial view, but I cannot get my head round how it is as a nation we can find the money to send our armed forces to fight in wars, but they are forced to turn to charity when they come home with terrible injuries. Grrrrrrr!!!!!
    Last edited by redken1; 11-11-13 at 12:56 PM.