Notices

Thread: Driver blocks me from filtering

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    About 8.30am A36 northbound just before bakery on right (Just past the Wilton roundabout)??
    I always nod too (I do it in the car too :-)

Just maybe -

1. He thought you'd overtake on the right, or
    2. He was moving over ready to move into the left lane having realised he was in the wrong long, or
    3. He didnt have a clue you were there.

Me I cant help thinking life's too short to get wound up about minor things like that - 2 minutes down the road and you're gonna be nipping past anyway.

If that's the worst that happened that day surely its not that bad.

I think this was a massive overreaction on your part.
    I agree with the above comments that it was more likely he didn't see you.
    Filtering isn't a right. If there's no room you can't do it and you tried to force your way through swearing all the way.
    What if the caravan rolled back? The black car, frightened by you, lurched forward?
    You put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation when there were other options available to save yourself exactly 0 minutes.

We've all done it but the key to safe, progressive riding is knowing when you are at fault and adjusting your riding or attitude accordingly.

I think filtering is a very grey area. Different people can read the road in different ways, eg,

Technically, you could have been in the wrong - The car has started to move left from the outside lane, (presumably) to the inside lane (without indication), yet you have started an "undertake" move on him, causing him to stop!

But, if the car was moving from the inside lane to the outside lane, he has failed to spot you overtaking him - then it's a different ball game that's more in your favour!

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    I agree with the above comments that it was more likely he didn't see you.
    Filtering isn't a right. If there's no room you can't do it
    Agreed, on a bike you often have the benefit of more options being open to you than when in a car but that also requires more, and better, decision making, one of the options is always to wait. I try and use a similar approach to planning an overtake on the open road, if it's not on then wait, another opportunity will come up. Might be different if you're delivering a kidney but not if 5 minutes late for work ; )

I don't commute often on a bike but get about 15k miles a year on two wheels and drive 30k+ miles in a car and see plenty of examples of poor driving (and riding!) and used to get very wound up about some of them. Now I adopt a 'holier than thou' approach and just pity the fool for not having my levels of skill and observation! Works a treat for keeping cool about crap road behaviour even if I know I'm kidding myself big time that I never get it wrong.

As for kicking doors, busting mirrors if I inadvertently block your path one day - very silly idea
    Last edited by Trev; 04-11-13 at 06:00 PM. Reason: oops spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Now I adopt a 'holier than thou' approach and just pity the fool for not having my levels of skill and observation! Works a treat for keeping cool about crap road behaviour even if I know I'm kidding myself big time that I never get it wrong.

As for kicking doors, busting mirrors if I inadvertently block your path one day - very silly idea
    Ditto

Does that come with age or experience Trev, maybe a bit of both?

I used to get very uptight about situations just like that and, yes, would have been the one cursing, but not any more and to be honest I get most places much quicker and with a lot less stress.

If it were me I'd scrub the YouTube clip and put it down to experience, but if someone had suggested that 10 years ago (if YouTube was around then?) I would have probably told them to sod off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    About 8.30am A36 northbound just before bakery on right (Just past the Wilton roundabout)??
    I always nod too (I do it in the car too :-)
    Yeah that was me

Thanks guys for your opinions and share of experiences. That's a good way of learning. And the video has been a laugh with my friends, so can't see the problem of some of you saying to remove it. Relax.

I could see from his face that he was not surprised with the situation, he knew what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    I've been blocked inadvertently before, I can see the difference and this never happened. Anyway, your quote seems a little bit off. Calm down.

Diamond Member
    Perhaps some of the judgements based on a very short video clip, which does not show the driver’s face are a tad unfair? It has happened to me - I just laugh it off and blast past with a twist of the wrist when the opportunity presents itself further down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Can't see really what the car drivers done wrong. Yes, they've moved over 6-12 inches but what makes you think they've done that deliberately to spoil your filtering? Very minor in my opinion.
    Agree here with Graeme. Why try and still push through a decreased gap? Whether he has deliberated blocked you or inadvertently moved over, not cool to put yourself in an even more dangerous position. You have almost forced the caravan driver to move by him seeing you trying to squeeze through a gap that wasn't there .. all through your frustration with the car driver.

Just stay behind .. you'll be past at next safe opportunity.
    Last edited by Ade; 05-11-13 at 12:23 AM.
    Ducati Diavel Dark

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonmf View Post
    Yeah that was me

Thanks guys for your opinions and share of experiences. That's a good way of learning. And the video has been a laugh with my friends, so can't see the problem of some of you saying to remove it. Relax.

I could see from his face that he was not surprised with the situation, he knew what he was doing.

I've been blocked inadvertently before, I can see the difference and this never happened. Anyway, your quote seems a little bit off. Calm down.
    Sorry mate but you are the one that put this up for info and discussion and now you are telling people responding to calm down and relax ? Maybe think about taking some of your own advice and calm down and relax when riding and such situations occur !