Notices

Thread: What bike

1. What bike 
    As much as it pains me to consider changing from my trusty Davina (Triumph Daytona 955i), I am thinking about upgrading my bike. I am thinking of getting something in the sports tourer class and want something comfortable and reliable but still fun, as the bones are starting to age. At the moment the Triumph Sprint ST is floating my boat, but the VFR800 vtec has also caught my eye although the reviews I have read are not brill. Any feedback on these bikes, or suggestions as to what bikes to consider gratefully received. I have a budget of about 6000 quid, so anything recently released is not really an option although I would consider finance if I could find a good deal, i.e. 0 per cent.

Thanks

i am in exactly the same thought process as yourself and have been looking at both bikes mentioned. i test rode a vfr800 (2009) the other day and it has all the luggage, and it was such a nice bike to ride. it was £5595 and im sure you could get it a touch cheaper. i've not managed to find a triumph to test ride yet so i can't properly compare them, however i nearly bought the vfr there and then.

Bike are very individual things, what one person will love another could hate. My suggestion would be to get out and test ride those that have got your attention. I am a little surprised at your comment about not so good reviews for the VFR 800 vtec - I bought one last year after test riding and searching round reading reviews and hardly found any negative reviews at all !.

I personally feel that the vtec is a great "all rounder". It is by no means an out and out sports bike and neither is it a full tourer but for my needs it gives me the best of both worlds. It can certainly make "good progress" when needed and with the full luggage fitted (which came with my bike) it is a very competent tourer although I wouldn't recommend long distance touring two up with it.

Not sure where you are located but happy to meet up at some point and tell you about my personal experience with the VFR so far (warts and all) if you think that may help at all.

There are loads of other good bikes out there so my advice would be take your time and find the right one for your needs and riding style

Bernie

What about a Kawasaki Z1000SX or Ducati Multistrada....a bit different maybe?

I'm a big fan of triple engines and also Triumph so there would only be one contender for me
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Diamond Member
    Chris, I would urge you not to overlook the FZ1/Fazer, but of course I’m biased as I own one. As has already been stated, you will know which bike is right for you once you have ridden a few which meet your requirements. I owned an 800 VFR pre-VTEC and it was an excellent all rounder. I know it is not a like-for-like comparison and probably not fair to compare the two machines, especially in light of the age of the VFR (have not ridden later models), but I much prefer my current bike for the following reasons. To my shame I am still a bit of a performance junkie and the R1 engine delivers approx a third more power than the VFR. I would say there is not a lot in it in terms of handling. Although it is not important to me, I would imagine the 200 cc would be an advantage if you intend to take a pillion on long hauls. You will also need to consider the riding position which suits you best, The FZ1/Fazer is certainly more upright than sports-tourers like the Triumph ST and VFR. I’m not knocking the VFR because it is a well proven brilliant bike and I loved mine, I just found it a bit tiring on my back and wrists – Mother Nature’s fault not the bike. Lol.
    More than welcome to have a blast on my beast mate. Good luck.

PS I would say that IMHO Yamaha priced the FZ1/Fazer what is a very underrated bike far too high and that obviously had a negative impact on sales. Not really relevant if you are buying second hand though.
    Last edited by redken1; 03-11-13 at 03:06 PM.

I'm thinking of upgrading too... I'll have to chat up Ken for a ride on his FZ1.. I'm looking at the same bikes as you Chris..+Blackbird or possibly a Busa.. see I'm growing horns already!
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading too... I'll have to chat up Ken for a ride on his FZ1.. I'm looking at the same bikes as you Chris..+Blackbird or possibly a Busa.. see I'm growing horns already!
    Just say when buddy - I love the Bird too

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    Chris, I would urge you not to overlook the FZ1/Fazer, but of course I’m biased as I own one. As has already been stated, you will know which bike is right for you once you have ridden a few which meet your requirements. I owned an 800 VFR pre-VTEC and it was an excellent all rounder. I know it is not a like-for-like comparison and probably not fair to compare the two machines, especially in light of the age of the VFR (have not ridden later models), but I much prefer my current bike for the following reasons. To my shame I am still a bit of a performance junkie and the R1 engine delivers approx a third more power than the VFR. I would say there is not a lot in it in terms of handling. Although it is not important to me, I would imagine the 200 cc would be an advantage if you intend to take a pillion on long hauls. You will also need to consider the riding position which suits you best, The FZ1/Fazer is certainly more upright than sports-tourers like the Triumph ST and VFR. I’m not knocking the VFR because it is a well proven brilliant bike and I loved mine, I just found it a bit tiring on my back and wrists – Mother Nature’s fault not the bike. Lol.
    More than welcome to have a blast on my beast mate. Good luck.

PS I would say that IMHO Yamaha priced the FZ1/Fazer what is a very underrated bike far too high and that obviously had a negative impact on sales. Not really relevant if you are buying second hand though.

Have to say that despite me being a current owner and great fan of the VFR the FZ1/Fazers on my list if bikes to have a look at as at times I do suffer fron wrist ache etc on the VFR, that said though every time I ride it the VFR does out a huge smile back on my face which would make it very hard to part with

If you're adding 'Busa & 'bird to the mix - don't forget the ZZR 1400 - beats 'em both