Notices

Thread: What side of the lane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. What side of the lane 
    So I have a road on my commute that has several sharp bends downhill, you sometimes get traffic stopped so need to go very slow on the bends, sometimes taking a wide arc near the middle of the road so you can see more, other times you get a lorry coming the other way chopping off the bend so you need to keep tight left.
    Recently the road has been covered in leaves washed down the hill, this has built up in the middle of the road and the middle of each lane, my question is which side of your lane would you choose.
    Going over the leaves in the middle of your lane is not a good idea, staying on the right and hitting the leaves in the centre of the road could put you on the other side, staying on the left means you can't see what's around the bend until you are on top of it...

Which would you choose - Left or right?

I choose the verge ?????

all the leaves are on the road ...............lol..

the left lane and go slower..... if you get caught out on the right and swerve you not only run the risk of hitting on coming traffic but also losing control on the leaves and hitting the vehicle ,,,,possibly around the bend....

Either. Depends on circumstance, but as 8 ball says, better avoid the oncoming lorries!!!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Platinum Member
    Personally I would choose the left wheel track and adjust my speed downwards to compensate for the lack of view.
    That should avoid coming into contention with any oncoming traffic and also having to cross the middle section.
    However you need to pay special attention to any junctions/driveways on the nearside as it's not a good position to be seen.

LEFT ! ... and adjust your speed having due regards for what might be around the corner.
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Yep, always left when the grip in the middle of the lane is compromised. Reduce speed accordingly. Don't worry about going too slow. Pressure from following vehicles can encourage you into going too fast.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

As everyone else has said, keep it on the left and preferably upright.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

What a topic to start! Tonight I was on another stretch of road with leaves in the middle, on a downhill bit there was mud all over the road and I couldn't slow down even more, or keep upright!!!

Ended up with a sore leg and covered in mud! Just the pride and front mudguard hurt, also the right mirror is now good for star gazing...

At least you are ok. Bikes can be replaced, people cant.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Oops! Sorry to hear of your sore leg ....
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!