Notices

Thread: That warm glow that only tinkering with a bike gives you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. That warm glow that only tinkering with a bike gives you.... 
    What is it about fixing/modding your bike yourself that makes it so satisfying almost regardless of what bike it is?

Just spent two hours fixing a leak on the two stroke pump and making a home made mudflap for my Yammy V50. Fitted a waterproof plug cap and new HT lead the other night, can't wait to take it out in the next storm to see if it still cuts out every other mile ; )

Next up are some 'new' shocks in attempt to improve the handling from absolutely atrocious to appalling and counteract the super dry statement on my last MOT certificate 'slight loss of damping effect in rear shock absorbers'. They are 42 years old after all

There's the same feeling fixing a breakdown at the side of the road on a cold winter night which starts first time after a wiggle and a blow on certain parts just needs a cup of tea in a warm comfy chair to reactivate.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

My Honda CB 175 used to short out from the HT lead onto my leg in the rain, in the dark it looked really effective.....1977 that was. A bit of electrical tape later.... That was my first fix at the age of 17, I was so chuffed with myself, now I have a 'man that can'

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    What is it about fixing/modding your bike yourself that makes it so satisfying almost regardless of what bike it is?
    I think it's called Love

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I think it's called Love
    Or not paying a garage!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

It is a good feeling of satisfaction, I recently raised my Bandit as it is a bit small for me - but was a bargain/good bike - the first ride afterwards was great!
    Costing a fraction of what a garage would have charged was also good, so long as you are safe and do a good job!

Not paying a garage is definitely part of it but for the home tinkerer sometimes the mods or 'repairs' aren't even necessary, for sure I justify each and every one to myself but it can be more about the distraction from your daily routine.

Having said that my Gixer 11 is off to my local bike guy tomorrow to sort out a fuelling problem that I can't get to the bottom of. Probably means carbs need stripping and cleaning and given my 'workshop' time is usually snatched on the odd evening it would take literally weeks for me to sort + I haven't got an ultrasonic cleaner or access to balancing kit and spare jets if needed. Mark there really knows his big Jap motors and the £250 odd will be money well spent.

Might also get him to fit the K&N I've had lying around for ages along with a sneaky dynojet kit to breathe a bit more life into the old lump ; )

My mate usually has to repair his bike after every ride out, he's got a old Norton Commando that he has had from new. I have had to back track on a few occasions to find him and find out what's fallen off.

I always do as much maintenance as possible as it reduces the cost, builds up your knowledge and gives you pride in your machine.

If I have the money and a spare bike I would be tinkering all day long.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Having an abused/extremely abused Chinese 125 the warm fuzzy feeling on fixing something left me 300 repairs ago.

I must be a masochist though as when I finally do my DAS I am thinking of getting the 250 version!