Notices

Thread: Bad vibes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've just had one of mine done at Carson in Melksham, assumed they would balance it but didn't ask...
    There was already a lead weight on the rim so it must have been done at some point, i've only owned it for a short time so not sure of it's history.

I am shocked to hear this , surely it would be a legal requirement as it is very dangerous especially on a bike for an unbalanced tyre. What if it was a complete noob, they wouldnt have stood a chance at speed.

Anyway, good to hear you kept it upright and have it sorted now. Have you got a balancing machine, intrigued how you do it at home.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

I am shocked to hear this , surely it would be a legal requirement as it is very dangerous especially on a bike for an unbalanced tyre. What if it was a complete noob, they wouldnt have stood a chance at speed.

Anyway, good to hear you kept it upright and have it sorted now. Have you got a balancing machine, intrigued how you do it at home. Is it easy?
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

we get ours done at Melksham tyres, Shawn allways balances never a problem

Its not too difficult mate, basically its a static balancer, the same type as they use at bsb etc, the wheel is locked into position on the bar via 2 cone shape fittings, this is then placed onto the frame, which has 2 rollers to allow the wheel free spin.
    You let the wheel find its own balance after removing any existing weights, and the heaviest part will settle at the bottom, once i have found this, i mark the tyre directly opposite the heavy side at the top at the lightest point, you can then begin to add your weights here, spinning the wheel slowly until i find that wherever i place the wheel in rotation, it stays still, thus balanced
    Also if you find yourself with a few weights, they can be added to both sides of the rim, hope this explains it, cheers Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Birdylegs View Post
    Bikes fine 2stroke shake a bit ty (just ordered a motocross suite and boots saves riding around in jeans and trainers) just worried about wear on Tyre before never through about how balance would change with wear

why not buy some motorbike gear instead of motocross gear aprilla rs125 with mx kit on good luck trying to change gear on it with mx boots on

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzer View Post
    why not buy some motorbike gear instead of motocross gear aprilla rs125 with mx kit on good luck trying to change gear on it with mx boots on
    I'll see what it's like was a late night offer by g/f looked smart and half price ordered of internet still getting elbow and knee guards extra boots hoped they would be user friendly I'll phone them up tomorrow ty
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

Quote Originally Posted by Birdylegs View Post
    I'll see what it's like was a late night offer by g/f looked smart and half price ordered of internet still getting elbow and knee guards extra boots hoped they would be user friendly I'll phone them up tomorrow ty

mx boots are nothing like motorbike boots they are bulky even the top boots like Alpinestar tech10 are bulky and take a bit of getting used to for people that aren't used to wearing them and the gear dosent really offer any protection if you did come off unless your thinking of taking your aprilla off road, I mite know someone that has some gear you can have I will pm you if he still has it

Quote Originally Posted by Conehead View Post

Anyway, good to hear you kept it upright and have it sorted now. Have you got a balancing machine, intrigued how you do it at home. Is it easy?
    It's not at all dangerous, just causes vibration. Maybe a complete novice might get the wind up them if it vibrates a bit but then shouldn't be going that fast if they are so nervous.

The six and a half sets I've had fitted this year have all been balanced and they were done at 3 different places. I expect a new valve and balancing as a matter of course with new tyres.

--------------------------------
    On the road to nowhere

Managed to get out early for a bit of a test since balancing the wheel, and success! ive lost all that nasty front end vibration, to the point of its like a different bike, even at rapid bat, the mirrors are hardly moving at all, compared with how it was before, when it got so bad that the fluid reservoir bracket (alum) broke in two!! well pleased with that one