speaking to a mot man on this supject every year because there is a few changes that will come into effect over the next year or two.
If it states on the can 'not for road use' a sticker can be placed over the can or it can be removed ???? and is road legal.
the same applies to 'for race use only'.
my bike is ear splitting and have never been pulled as of yet by the old bill, however, no doubt in time the day will come.
DVLA also do road side checks for noise levels also which would and does cause even factory cans issues.

But I simply stick my finger in the air and say '&%@# off', its a well known fact that 'loud pipes do save lives' and I for one will never have a bike that has a factory or none chopped can.

performance ,....this is debatable and is different from bike to bike a remap or carb tune is normally in order and there is always a compromise, none baffled pipes or race cans are designed for flat out use not slow 'about town performance'

but hey thats my view and experience, take them out and if you dont like it pop them back in ??? simple