Notices

Thread: Hello all

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Hello all 
    Alright guys and gals , thank for the add to this site. I'm Lee (aka Linford). I have never owned or ridden a motorcycle - even though I have always wanted to, I have never gotten around to taking it up. On the few times I've been a pillion, I always remember a feeling of freedom and a huge adrenaline rush!!
    Anyway enough excuses!! The other day my missus was trying to think of ideas for my 40th present next year..and out of know where she suggested buying me a motorcycle licence course... I thought...yeah why not!!

Does anybody have any advise on what sort of course would be suitable for a complete novice?
    and also what a suitable starter bike would be? -ideally if there is a course that takes me straight through C.B.T., module 1and 2 I'd prefer to skip the 125s and go for a old 500ish cc bike to begin with.

cheers
    Lee

what sort of bike you looking for , as in fast sport touring or bit of both, I always recommend a bandit 600 as a first bike as there pretty well made and plenty of parts usually cheap and give a little bit of both speed and are ok for taking a long ride on , cant help you with a direct access course as I done mine in stages but good luck and welcome

hello and welcome. i passed my test in december last year and done a DAS course with phoenix in amesbury. you do your CBT, then book your mod 1 and once thats passed its straight to mod 2. Phoenix have reserved slots for mod 1's due to being an established school but i'm sure others will that are closer to you. and my first bike was a 55 plate ZX6R.

Thanks Brizzer. I only just started looking to be honest so no real favourites.. I'll have a look at the Bandits though.
    cheers

Thanks matthews677 - I think there is a training school in Chippenham but I need to find more details of this one. I've just checked out the ZX6R - very nice! I was I bit worried that I'd have to be on a 125 for a while - being 14 1/2 stone, I think I'd look a bit silly! I did like the look of a older GPZ500s late 80s/early 90's - I quite like the retro look and the reviews I've read about them suggest they're quite forgiving for beginners.

Cheers

Hi Lee, and welcome to WB the Fazer (Yamaha fzs 600) is a pretty good bike to start with, better looking than the bandit, with a de tuned r6 engine its very nimble and good fun to ride, but also forgiving on the novice rider, a really good place to start

thanks Wes - yup the Fazer could be another option - just been looking at them on Auto trader. I quite the bikes with only partial fairings
    Christ its going to be a long 4 months till my birthday!! but at least I can do plenty of research!
    Cheers

Hi and welcome to WB.
    Able is an excellent training school and frequently on here. Trained quite a few WBer's and does excellent refreshers for us ahem older bikers!
    Get along to a few dealers and sit on all sorts of bikes and see what feels right.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Hello and welcome!
    I was lucky and passed my test years ago before they made it in stages but have been off 2 wheels for years. I was going to go for something tame/old and take a refresher course, ended up buying a 400 Bandit and went straight out....
    Just take it easy, treat all cars/vans/lorries as idiots - and some bikes too...

Thanks BB. I'll check out Able's website.
    My wife keeps joking that this could be my mid-life crisis! lol! But It's something that I've always wanted to do, but never did.. it's better late than never I suppose!
    :-)
    Cheers