Notices

Thread: Driving standards

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No.
    The problem is there are too many vehicles, too much road signage/traffic calming measures and badly designed roads.
    Say on a journey you pass 100 cars. You see 2 examples of bad driving.
    When you finish you will inevitably moan about only 2% of the traffic you encountered (probably generalising about them being cars/lorries/women or from an ethnic background) and ignore the fact that 98% of the people you passed did absolutely nothing wrong.
    You will also ignore your own mistakes "well, it was only a one off"
    I don't think driving is worse I just think there are more selfish, holier than thou, a.holes around.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Say on a journey you pass 100 cars. You see 2 examples of bad driving.
    Same with anything and a very good point. If you go on any forums to research a car/laptop/camera, in fact any product at all the internet is full of negative things. When was the last time any of us rang up a company, say your mobile company or insurer to say thanks, but we are on the phone in a flash to slam them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Dave View Post
    If people stayed left like they were meant to then nobody would be able to undertake. The amount of people I see on four lane stretches of the A1 in the 3rd Lane and no traffic in front of them for miles is unbelievable!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I totally agree with what you said, but I am not holding traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    They could be given a couple of months to have some lessons and retake and pass.
    There are some dangerous drivers/riders on the road so if they did lose their licences the roads would be safer for the rest.
    But yea it won't ever happen.

People seem to give up on learning to drive once they pass their tests.

Driving instructors aren't just for people learning to drive, they are also there for people wishing to brush up or improve their driving skills.
    Agreed, took IAM training and test last year after 30+ years of riding and definitely improved my riding and, to a lesser extent, my driving. Still surprises me though how many bikers don't do further training, especially those of us who have been riding for a while, and the wide range of reasons (excuses) for not doing so. I know I can't improve other road users skills but certainly can my own.

I definitely need to refresh my driving skills and am going to sign up to IAM driving sessions and put our sales guys (and girl) through similar course.

Just thinking if you want to complain about bad driving standards of people forget about it when you can send off a form to have a provision license that means all you need is insurance and a qualified person beside you to drive around and there's few road accidents makes me laugh. There's a lot of people that don't understand how a vehicle can be a death trap at speeds the human body can't cope with theirs no reason why a person should drive as the person behind him thinks he should we all like to think that we are right and we was told by someone who is not there how to act and what we should or shouldn't do without the fact that we are all different in needs from time to time and should know that everyone needs respect to function in there own conference
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

Diamond Member
    Like most areas during these times of austerity the courier business is very competitive and everyone is squeezed on margins. There are thousands of delivery drivers of vans (and bikes) out there who are paid in part or in full on a commission basis per drop/delivery. Feeling tired after spending a busy day negotiating congested roads and trying to squeeze that one extra delivery in? All the ingredients for an accident just waiting to happen.

Banned
    Followed a car today for about 10 miles that had windscreen wipers set on intermittent. It was completely dry out
    How bad a driver would you have to be not to notice the wipers being on???

Just to keep things in balance... I followed a moped this morning with his left indicator on for about a mile. He had no mirrors so couldn't see me but was keeping left, when the traffic picked up I went to overtake at the same time he meandered into the middle of the road.

I find it difficult to leave on my indicators on my 1949 AJS.... my arm gets sooo tired
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    I find it difficult to leave on my indicators on my 1949 AJS.... my arm gets sooo tired
    Haha, brilliant!! 😃