Notices

Thread: Driving standards

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry Ade, drank too much Vino for punctuation ! If you break it into chunks Im sure you can manage it !
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Diamond Member
    Taking time out from spectating at the English civil War re-enactment on the non bike section, I do think retraining and educational classes are worth consideration, I’m not convinced however, that re-tests would have a significant impact on improving road safety. (Please don’t give the powers that be any ideas about more stealth taxes for road users) Even the most sensible proficient driver/rider could have an off day on the day of the test. And to be honest, how many road users drive/ride in the same manner as they would when being observed in a test environment? I agree with Dave’s comments regarding the volume of traffic on our roads. This is the real issue which needs to be addressed in my opinion – with the predicted increase of traffic in the next decade our roads face permanent gridlock which equals frustration which equals accidents.
    Last edited by redken1; 13-10-13 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Personally I think making people re-take their driving tests every five years would do wonders to improve driving standards
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftyblake View Post
    I also think bikers should retake there test, why just car drivers?? Do we really think that all of us are so much better than all of the car drivers !
    What happens then if you fail the test through no fault of your own (because someone else did something on the road) and as a result lost your job, home, etc........ Never going to happen.

Diamond Member
    Taking time out from spectating at the English civil War re-enactment on the non bike section, I do think retraining and educational classes are worth consideration, I’m not convinced however, that re-tests would have a significant impact on improving road safety. (Please don’t give the powers that be any ideas about more stealth taxes for road users) Even the most sensible proficient driver/rider could have an off day on the day of the test. And to be honest, how many road users drive/ride in the same manner as they would when being observed in a test environment. I agree with Dave’s comments regarding the volume of traffic on our roads. This is the real issue which needs to be addressed in my opinion – with the predicted increase of traffic in the next decade our roads face permanent gridlock which equals frustration which equals accidents.

Diamond Member
    Sorry admins I appear to have posted the same post twice and it's not for the first time. Frustrating, I'm obviously doing something wrong. Apologies

Mobile phones, a massive increase in traffic volume, and complacent drivers/riders. It all adds up to bad driving. Yes I think standards have dropped. Most mornings, my Mrs passes a lad coming out of Warminster on his moped. Every morning he rides along texting! The number of truckers I see negotiating Yarnbrook roundabout in their artic, whilst talking on their phones. But the worst driving is reserved for those that use their vehicle as a weapon. It's all a video game to them.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber Dave View Post
    What happens then if you fail the test through no fault of your own (because someone else did something on the road) and as a result lost your job, home, etc........ Never going to happen.
    They could be given a couple of months to have some lessons and retake and pass.
    There are some dangerous drivers/riders on the road so if they did lose their licences the roads would be safer for the rest.
    But yea it won't ever happen.

People seem to give up on learning to drive once they pass their tests.

Driving instructors aren't just for people learning to drive, they are also there for people wishing to brush up or improve their driving skills.

undertaking people seems to be the norm now , when I was doing my test am sure it was an offence to do that

Quote Originally Posted by Mal103 View Post
    Do you think that driving standards have dropped over the last 10 odd years?
    I dont think so really, just increasingly crowded with everyone under more pressure to do so much in a day and do it so much quicker in all aspects of life. I think we all suffer from that.

I suspect getting back on a bike after a while just makes you more aware of it.

What I find really amazing is that we dont see more crashes and accidents due to people using mobile phones and I cant understand why the Police dont seem that bothered.

I dont think there is a time when any of us go out on our bikes when we dont see a driver texting or chatting away on a phone? It would be easy pickings for the Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzer View Post
    undertaking people seems to be the norm now , when I was doing my test am sure it was an offence to do that
    If people stayed left like they were meant to then nobody would be able to undertake. The amount of people I see on four lane stretches of the A1 in the 3rd Lane and no traffic in front of them for miles is unbelievable!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk