Notices

Thread: Driving standards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Driving standards 
    Do you think that driving standards have dropped over the last 10 odd years?

I used to ride years ago so got very good at driving defensively, after getting back on 2 wheels again recently I am constantly reminded of driver numptyness.

I had one driver on a 2 lane roundabout - while joining the roundabout opposite me - stay in the left/outer lane and indicate left/straight-on, only to continue round and turn right! I was right to wait.
    Then this week on a dual carraigeway a car just drifted out into the right hand lane for no reason or indication?

Plenty of other examples but more aware and vulnerable to them now. A lot more texting and phoning going on as well.

On the topic of phone use in cars, when I am on my bike if I spot it I tend to ride along side them, do the "phone hand" shape and shake my head at them. Most the time they quit it.

As for general roadcraft. In my opinion its linked to the number of cars about. There has been a marked increase in the amount of vehicles since even I passed my driving test in 2001. More vehicles means more idiots sadly.

Banned
    Yea on the bike it's really easy to spot phone users, you can even see them texting

There's a lot of vehicle variety so you cannot drive the same speed as what's behind or in front of you on the road. The driving standard has changes about rules in which you don't have to indicate if you driving straight over a roundabout to show when you're leaving it which is a warning to other drivers and moving in front of cars to exit a roundabout has changed to not use you're self as a human shield when exiting a roundabout to a sudden exit hopefully a car won't pull out at you if it's a single lane but you could get two lanes in which there's space there need standard rules which don't change from year to year and a common road lay out to avoid looking at markings so you don't drive into incomming traffic thinking you have two lanes road signs are cheep and we need more of them even two at times spread about incase you miss one.

Banned
    Personally I think making people re-take their driving tests every five years would do wonders to improve driving standards

In my opinion riding up to a car window and telling him off may be a bit rich from the drivers point of view, as he/she might see your riding quite dangerous. Its a sign of you losing control, mental control getting angry and playing the policeman and makes you dangerous. My own view is don't interact with car drivers. If you are aware that they are on the phone etc (not hard to spot) then use some risk management and give them a wide birth. As for indicating, if you seriously rely on a cars indicator as a signal that he is going to turn where his indicator indicates your probably bounce off his bonnet. As we were taught on MAC training days, cant trust an indicator, all an indicator tells you is that the bulb is working ! I don't think driving standards have changed, theres so much traffic now. Some are **** some are good, no different to you on a motorbike or me. There are some fukkwit riders as car drivers. Keep Calm and Carry On Riding, if you start getting mad at motorist you are no better than them. Be wary of them, avoid them and remember it might be your right of way, but when you are dribbling cabbage as he burst you brains out of your helmet who won !
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 14-10-13 at 12:03 PM.
    Counting down until my next ride out!

I also think bikers should retake there test, why just car drivers?? Do we really think that all of us are so much better than all of the car drivers !
    Counting down until my next ride out!

cant trust an indicator, all an indicator tells you is that the bulb is working

Oh so true, mind you, goes for bikes as well as cars!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

cant trust an indicator, all an indicator tells you is that the bulb is working !.

Excellent quote and a possible life saver.
    With my bike I am complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdylegs View Post
    There's a lot of vehicle variety so you cannot drive the same speed as what's behind or in front of you on the road. The driving standard has changes about rules in which you don't have to indicate if you driving straight over a roundabout to show when you're leaving it which is a warning to other drivers and moving in front of cars to exit a roundabout has changed to not use you're self as a human shield when exiting a roundabout to a sudden exit hopefully a car won't pull out at you if it's a single lane but you could get two lanes in which there's space there need standard rules which don't change from year to year and a common road lay out to avoid looking at markings so you don't drive into incomming traffic thinking you have two lanes road signs are cheep and we need more of them even two at times spread about incase you miss one.
    Your 2nd sentence is so long with no punctuation that I'm afraid to me it was totally incomprehensible. !
    Ducati Diavel Dark