Notices

Thread: The poor old dear needs the money

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    You do understand for her to get that money she would have to sell amongst other things the entire nation and the entire nation of Canada (and not just the empty bits but things like YOUR house).

I have to ask are you trolling or do you genuinely not understand that all that land figure is based on an impossible old feudal notion?
    Mrs Queen, please don't sell my house to help other people, I've worked bloody hard to pay off the mortgage early and didn't realise you could sell it. No probs if you want to sell Canada though, been there once and not planning to go back..

BTW, how much do you want for that sticky out bit at the top of Scotland? Can't be much as bugger all goes on there but some decent biking roads so drop me line before you put it on fleabay

Time for you to put your tin hat on Swanny and climb back into your padded cell lol

Diamond Member
    Not so sure that all the content of your original post is factually correct Swanny, but I do agree with your sentiment. To be fair, there is a lot of misinformation from both the republican and the royalist camps. For me as a true democrat I could never square the circle of supporting an unelected head of state. For those regal supporters who peddle the argument that she has no real power it’s worth noting that a newly elected Westminster MP or MSP in Scotland must take an oath swearing allegiance to the monarch before thye can take up their seat in the respective parliaments.

Moreover, Idon't know if people realise this, but in Westminster if you refuse to take the oath your seat remains vacant until the next election. In the Scottish Parliament, if you don't take the oath within two months of being elected there is an immediate by-election. Ironic and certainly undemocratic when you consider that since the inception of Holyrood in 1999 numerous MSPs were elected pledging to abolish the monarchy.

Looked about a bit and can't post anything bad about queen hear jail cold this time of year. But read a few jems to avoid paying for stamps but address as return address and make up address on front to deliver your mail or cover stamp in glue then clean post mark and reuse I know working class won't save much but will at least we might get some more work done.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

So what do they actually do for us as a people? Could someone enlighten me... Do they bring tourist revenue, or tradition. You'll be telling me there's a god next!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntsunlimited View Post
    So what do they actually do for us as a people? Could someone enlighten me... Do they bring tourist revenue, or tradition. You'll be telling me there's a god next!
    The tourism created is pretty huge. Not just to London but other palaces/castles, places like Windsor would be nothing's if it wasn't for their Crown Residences.

Many of the estates actually turn a profit which she dopes not keep but goes to the treasury (especially Prince Charles, you can even buy his stuff in Waitrose), I think but I maybe wrong here that if her profits were kept by her and not put in the public kitty she would actually not cost us anything, the whole costing us money thing comes from the fact they take all her profits from her making it public money and then give her some back to her as a handout.

Also her foreign trips do raise the profile of Britain, China sends Panda's on loan to aid diplomacy, we send a little pensioner with a crown and people love it. Go abroad to some places and when the locals realise you are a Brit you will be hounded with questions about the Royals. Also she is politically neutral this means she can be dispatched to nations our politicians may not agree with (or that hate us) or to meet leaders that politicians may find embarrassing (bashar assad and the like).

The queen made us a profit of 230.9 mill http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ery-penny.html but sorry no god capture.jpeg
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

Banned
    Sorry but the tourism argument doesn't work

Martin, Bury, 1 day ago
    Good for tourism you say! France had over 70 million visitors and China had 55.98 million compared to the UK's 31 million, so they're not the crowd pullers you think they are, do you seriously think tourists visit this country just to stand outside Buckingham palace on a cold wet day just to see if they catch a glimpse of the Queen to give her a wave? that old "good for tourism argument is old hat now!

We are number 8 on the list
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

She's a waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Sorry but the tourism argument doesn't work

We are number 8 on the list
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

She's a waste of money
    Surely ranking 8th out of 200-odd countries is pretty good?

At the point that Wikipedia is used as a reference I'm afraid I step out. Point proven.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers