Pity you didn't get the try the DCT, I also tried the manual and, apart from the great price, good mpg and storage, IMO it's just another low powered mid-range bike and you can get fixated on the lack of revs. The DCT, although no quicker (it's got a few more bhp but also more kg) is a completely different bike, especially in X guise. You kind of forget the lack of top end acceleration (or even top end!) and get used to covering the ground pretty quickly by maintaining a decent average speed rather than bursts of acceleration followed by braking and the DCT box suits the low revving, torque orientated motor very well.

Having said that, I do have access to a couple of other bikes and although I'm a massive fan of my NC, and a convert to the DCT, not sure it would be my bike if I was only allowed one, guess that would depend what I was to use it for. Year round, do it all then maybe but owning a bike is as much about the heart as the head so my '89 GSXR1100K still does it for me even though compromised in some (dozens) of areas ; )

Agree with your comment on the brakes although DCT has linked with ABS and overall brakes are well up to the bike. The small screen adds some wind protection but depends what you're used to, better than my MT-03 but it's no RT. The storage is a blast, sees me hopping on the bike to pick things up I would have used the car for, even picked up a KFC for my lad without spilling the Sprite!