Notices

Thread: Small License Plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Small License Plates 
    Hi all,

I have the original (dirty) license plate on my bike, but I'm looking to buy a shiny new pressed / embossed license plate. I've always liked the look of smaller license plates on bikes, and figured that since I'm getting a new one I'll get one a bit smaller.
    I've looked into the legality of these plates and it seems that it depends entirely on how small you decide to go. Obviously, I don't want to go so small that I'm getting pulled over and fined all the time.

I'm looking for advice on what size to go for.

If you have a a small plate on your bike, I'd really appreciate it if you could post a photo of it giving the measurements for comparison. I can't find any photos online and I'm struggling to imagine how small / large it would look.
    Somebody told me they have a 7X5 and they've never been stopped, but I can't imagine what that would look like

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Rob

Mine plate is 15cm h x 22cm w which looks big and it's not on my list to change I'd more likely look at a personalized plate while we are on the subject if it's small might be harder for it to be spotted if stolen if that's worth thinking about.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

Any non standard plate is illegal.
    You will need the standard one for the MOT.
    As long as you don't take the p*ss the police shouldn't bother you too much.

We had a member here get a ticket for being I believe 12mm smaller than standard size. It was something stupidly small like 12mm difference anyway
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Yeah, smal plates do look cool on some bikes but really why bother with all the hassle and worry. I'll stay legal and boring and enjoy stress free riding.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

7x5 on the blade and so far, ive not had any issues, and it goes thru the mot ok as well
    Last edited by Wes; 03-10-13 at 09:00 PM.

I'm not sure about the size of actual plate, the yellow plate size, but all figures and letters are supposed to be as follows, so I'm guessing all figures have to fit within the dimensions given, once in place the yellow plate can be as large or as small as you wish, it's the black letters and numbers that must be of certain size etc.
    MOTORCYCLES AND TRICYCLES

• Motorcycles and tricycles registered after 1.9.2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.
    • Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1.9.2001 can display a number plate at the front but are not required to.
    • The characters may be smaller e.g.

Character Height 64mm
    Character Width 44mm
    Character Stroke 10mm
    Space between characters 10mm
    Space between groups 30mm
    Top, side & bottom margin 11mm
    Space between vertical lines 13mm

• Motorcycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must display a two-line number plate number plate. Motorcycles registered prior to the 1 September 2001 may display a three-line plate, but one-line plates are illegal, irrespective of the date of registration of the motorcycle.

Standard in other words here you go Rob, 7x5 against erm...standard

Last edited by Wes; 03-10-13 at 09:20 PM.

WHAT!!!! They dont pull you for that and it goes through MOT!!!!!

I'm gonna put tape on mine to....
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Wes, the 7x5 looks good and is obviously not taking the pics by being too small. I think I'm leaning towards getting one that size. The photo helps a lot!

Grey haired bloke, im definitely going to try and make sure the characters are all the legal size. If it won't fit on a 7x5 then I might have to rethink my options.

Does anyone know any places within Wiltshire that do special sized plates, or would I be best off ordering online?