Notices

Thread: Leaking forks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I completely stripped everything down and cleaned everything before re assembly. Didn't prime valves though as was going to the maintenance manual and didnt see that it said to anywhere. I think the seals may be leaking again anyway, so am beginning to lose faith in it all to be honest.

Seals will leak for a reason

What condition are the fork stanchions - any damage, scores or pitting? If there is the seals will always leak. You cannot fit new seals to bad forks and expect them to work.

Are you using double sided or single sided seals. Single sided have to be the correct way round or they do not work.

Seals are also delicate items that need fitting correctly. Have seen many banged in with hammers and screwdrivers which damages them and makes them useless.
    The people fitting them normally say the seals were poor quality and think they have done nowt wrong.

Everything looked pretty good when it was taken apart. The chrome on the inner tube was sound, Im not sure what is up. I installed the seals the same way they were put in before. I think they were in there for some time without leaking. I did install them with a bit of fork oil and used the old seals to tap them in with, evenly and gently. with a well padded and taped up screw driver. I made sure I took my time on this and the o ring popped back into place nicely and evenly. Its very frustrating lol! ive only had the bike for 5 mins and this has happened! I guess I may have to pay someone to do it. If i need new forks, I will be gutted.

Ah bleddy ell! leaking forks again and now a fair amount of oil in the air filter! could this be the adapted exhaust that has been put on sucking air back in? or damaged rings or pistons? whatever it is this introduction to biking is proving rather frustrating, i just want to be out riding

Phone steve lynham on 019793 820630 for a quote or wheelers in melksham to have a look the price you pay to fix it is worth it when you get it running buying Second hand might mean it needs some work as last owner abandoned it then sold it (if you think your bikes got problems mines too much to list on one form needs to be put under parts wanted and parts for sale tec help and probably stolen list Lol) hope you get nice ride out in the end.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

I ended up biting the bullet and had someone do it for me. All seems well now I have just come back to Trowbridge from Cornwall! yes I did ride my uncomfortable 125 there and back loved it. even though it was really windy and raining heavily on the way back! forks are still good too.

Oil in your airbox can be an indication that the sump has too much oil in as it normally comes back up the crankcase breather hose but there should be a small sponge filter in the way. Be sure to clean an oil of the sensors in there and I would drain the oil out and measure it and top up correct amount just to be certain - too much oil is just as bad as too little as it builds up the pressure.