Notices

Thread: Leaking forks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Leaking forks!! 
    Hi everyone,

I believe the fork seals on my bike ( Kawasaki Eliminator BN 125 A2 1999) have completely gone. Just bought the machine and it hadn't been ridden in a long time, after the first couple of hundred miles the oil started pouring out. I dont have the tools or knowledge currently to sort em out, so any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Sonny.

Your have to order parts they can take a week you will have to get it inspected at a garage to know what its a two man job so you cant do it on your own look on internet as much as you can as you never said where you live i dont anywhere but steve lynham in swindon to recomend phone around for quotes should be about £70 to fix good luck as could be more. http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1999-a...0.html#results some bits are cheap new forks about £700 get it done befor they get damaged
    Last edited by Birdylegs; 07-09-13 at 07:00 PM.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

It could also be worth giving Bike Treads of Swindon a call for a quote, 01793 615995
    www.biketreads.co.uk

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for all your help :-) I've managed to get someone to have a look at the forks. They said i should get away with just new oil seals. I have been to the bike shop and gotten the oil i need and supposedly the right seals! wasn't the most pleasant place i've been to being a newbie! Anyway the seals i got measure 33 x 46 x 11 but everywhere else i have looked online say that i need 33 x 46 x 10.5. does this half a mil make the difference or would i get away with it?

cheers

Sonny.

Your have to ask a expert on that as it depends on fit they was ment to have and if it would be a good squeese ment to be there or not.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

steve lynham supplied and fitted my seals on my mx bike for 40 quid all in. surely it would be less hassle to take the bike to a garage to get them done then if not I wouldn't bother about .5 of a mil and try it yursell as it isn't that hard , but as you have said its pouring out your forks I would be checking your bushes and stantions for damage.

Thanks for your help guys, I will probably have the forks off and take them into someone. I know a couple of guys who have always done all their bike maintenance, so will go for that i reckons. I'm hoping it is just the seals that went, but seems funny that they both went like that all of a sudden?

if the bike sat for a while,seals could have hardened and when used again oil would have leaked past as they would have lost sealing capacity..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Aha that makes sense. I have managed to change the seals now and they had worn and felt pretty hard! I have put the amount of fork oil stated in the maintenance manual, but the bike still sinks on the suspension with the weight of the bike and is easily pushed up and down.There is no oil leaking anywhere, but not sure why this is. My thoughts are that it may still need oil adding???

did you just hook out the seals as some do or completely strip them like we do?
    did you prime the valves before fitting?