Notices

Thread: Parking ticket advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Parking ticket advice 
    I parked In the Mumbles Pier car park, Swansea yesterday and went to get a ticket from the only machine.
    The digital display said 'not in use'.
    Fair enough I thought, free parking. Went for a walk and came back to a ticket as did several of the other drivers parked there.

I checked the machine which was now miraculously working.
    Do I have a leg to stand on or is it just my word against theirs?
    Last edited by wiltshire builders; 06-09-13 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Bloody auto correct!

Could have filmed if with phone should be a few outhers complaning at same time you got a joint case against machine should film area too as to show no parking attandant to watch the cars for you which is what your also paying for.
    Could try there was no phone number to call for help failing that fit a alarm on them so they bleep when you push a button so you can find them
    Last edited by Birdylegs; 06-09-13 at 11:40 AM.
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

Your word against theirs is enough (unless you a are a world famous fraudster) if you refuse to pay the ticket it should go to an "independent" tribunal, whether these are actually very independent or not is open to debate but they do have to take and consider evidence in the same way a court would which means the balance is often in your favour if the council can't prove the machine was working. If others were caught to this adds to your case (if you can contact these others it would strongly help as you could all back each other up).

Most equipment works on a digital basis these days. Surely if you were dispute the ticket the council would have to prove that the machine was working. If the machine wasn't working when you arrived, it would have a digital fingerprint or report held within the machine "history" which would have produced a failure report. You would probably be able to demand sight of the report to prove your case. Go for it fella.
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

Banned
    Have a look here http://www.nomoreparkingtickets.com/

More info here halfway down the page http://www.yourstrawman.com/

I would write to the people concerned and as mentioned above the machine should have a record of when it was/was not working. Also, If you do it now there would be more people complaining which strengthens your case. Dont give in to these thieving bastards.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Was it a private or council job, Im guessing council if it has a metre

Sorry to hear about your parking ticket!

If the T's & C's state that if the machine(s) are not working you are not permitted to park, then you are stuffed (probably). If you have a witness , photo, or other evidence to support your claim that the one and only machine was not working , you should go for it! If you do not have witnesses ( known to you), you might want to ask the council for details of other persons so fined at or about the time you were fined, or you may have to threaten to pursue an order for 'discovery' of such information if the council refuses to give that information to you. Good luck, mate ! Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanboy View Post
    Sorry to hear about your parking ticket!

If the T's & C's state that if the machine(s) are not working you are not permitted to park, then you are stuffed (probably). If you have a witness , photo, or other evidence to support your claim that the one and only machine was not working , you should go for it! If you do not have witnesses ( known to you), you might want to ask the council for details of other persons so fined at or about the time you were fined, or you may have to threaten to pursue an order for 'discovery' of such information if the council refuses to give that information to you. Good luck, mate ! Richard
    Thats some sound advice... And if it gets to the recovery stage, try this...

http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk...ng-tickets.php

Slightly off topic but I recently had a speeding fine handed to Bailiffs from 2007 (I completely forgot about because I had moved) that the Magistrates charged the Bailiffs to recover... which they tried to with horrendous recovery fees... Cut a long story short - I used the advice on this website, paid the fine online... Called the bailiff and informed him I had no contract with their company, only the Magistrates which has now been paid... after trying to bully me and insisting I owe them, I explained to him that no court in the land can enforce your fees - only the outstanding fine, no more no less. After a bit of stuttering on his part he accepted this. They sent me a letter trying to recover their fees threatening locksmiths, I called them up... Again said no contract, if I have anymore harassment I'll see you in court. I think they got bored and went and bullied some poor single mother who knows know better. These bastards work off your fear. I have heard nothing since.

Cheers everyone. That's been very helpful. It would seem that it's a bloody minefield!