Notices

Thread: Battery management / chargers

1. Battery management / chargers 
    Hi all, The old R6 never gave me any probs but the R1 now just got with the alarm stuff now means i need to manage my battery management properly

I have been pondering through all the various types and options and price!

I think i've settled on an Oxford 900 Oximiser but cant see the differences between this and the Oxford 600?

Additionally the Optimate 4 which is more expensive?

Any feedback on what you guys have got/use and good or bad experiences with this gear would be appreciated

Regards

Shaky

I have the Oxford Oximiser 900 and it does the job. The Oximiser 600 charges at a lower rate (0.6 amps) I believe, than the 900 which is 0.9 amps. The difference is the time taken to charge the battery.

If you have a beefy battery to charge as the R1 probably needs to start it, the 900 might be better suited. This is common sense based on limited experience, and am happy to be corrected if someone knows more than I do on the subject!
    2008 Honda CBR125R.

Cheers Dan, much appreciated

Optimizers are not really charging the battery up. The idea is to keep them plugged in all the time so the battery is kept in top condition.

Trickles a bit in when needed

Shaky,

The 900 also does Lithium which is good if you ever wanted to drop more weight off the bike.

I have got solar panels for both my bikes, which is great because the garage is in the best place for sunlight to keep them both topped up. Depending on how your garage is positioned it could save you a few bob.

This is a bigger minefield than optimisers, just don't buy Chinese.

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-SOL...item416870980c
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

I got a solar charger for the car as i only use the car about once a month but use the bike everyday,i had problems with battery not holding charge even though i was using it ,then the bike wouldn't start especially in winter .Got a new Motobatt battery and all was fine .

Thanks all for your feedback. Got the Oxford Optimiser 900 in the end. All rigged up now in the garage and the bike plugged in on trickle< hopefully problem solved