Notices

Thread: Charities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So if someone wanted to pay you 184,000 you would turn it down or offer it up to charity so you only took 100,000 home? I know I would not!

Diamond Member
    I’m with you on this one Swanny. Anyone who claims they ‘need’ more than £3538 per week in wages in order to enjoy a reasonable standard of living, especially some one who’s salary is reliant on the generosity of struggling Joe Public, should refrain from wallpapering their house in £20notes. I would certainly not make a donation to any charity which deems £184,000, 171,125 more than someone working for the minimum wage (based on a 40 hour week) a reasonable salary for one or more of its employees. I take the view that if a charity can afford to pay this amount, my hard earned is better spent elsewhere. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by redken1; 10-08-13 at 09:07 PM.

And when the cancer charities stop researching a cure because they can't attract good enough executives to manage the research facilities that's ok, because at least nobody's getting paid a lot

Similarly the charities who have to manage multi billion pound budgets to provide children's services to protect them from abuse - they won't be able to attract a financial director capable of managing billion pound budgets but that's ok as long as nobody gets paid a big salary

Or we try to find an FD who will choose min wage at a charity instead of a large salary plus perks at a private company
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Diamond Member
    With respect James I don't accept that we have to pay huge wages to attract the best people for these jobs. I think it is a British thing. For example, compare the banking sector wages here with the rest of Europe. I would very much hope that those involved at the top end of the charities you mentioned were not attracted to these positions purely to earn a big salary. I have not said that an FD should be expected to work for the minimum wage, but I do think that many people who are struggling under austerity would be horrified if they were made aware of some of the salaries been paid to the employees of the charities they support. I think all charities should be accountable through transparency. Lets publish the salaries and let the individual make up their own mind.
    Last edited by redken1; 10-08-13 at 09:46 PM.

Front line workers generally get paid peanuts for a non 9-5pm job, that deals with the emotions and challenges of lots of people with complex needs. I've spent many years doing that too - now have a decent salary but still work very hard for it but at the end of the day, the only reason we do what we do is for the reward it brings. It only takes making a small difference in one person's life to realise why. My charities strapline is 'changing lives one by one' - which we all do, but the poorest paid do some of the most emotionally challenging work of all, on a salary of 15-16k in the main. They therefore also need considerable levels of management and supervision from those experienced and qualified to provide it, to keep them, service users and the public safe.

Most of the time Charity workers work on days off and whilst on leave because it's really hard to just detach in the midst on things when it involves people's lives - I've got better at it in my current role - only because I'm no longer operational - I work to win and develop new services, maintain contracts for existing services and develop partnerships with other charities to save money and improve service delivery - operationally though, that's incredibly tough to do.

And all whilst facing massive cuts to funding.

I would not change one part of my 18 year charity work career - I have met some amazing people, faced some massive challenges and (hopefully!) really helped to make services for vulnerable people the best they can be and helped some people change their lives for the better along the way. And everyone in the sector is the same in my view - if you are lucky enough to pick up a great salary along the way, enjoy - you are in the minority and have probably worked really hard to get there.
    Last edited by Nokesy; 10-08-13 at 11:52 PM.

And for the record, the salaries mentioned previously are unheard of to me - CEO's of charities I know, which turnover £10-17M, still only earn 60-70k. And we are not for profit.
    Last edited by Nokesy; 11-08-13 at 01:24 AM.

Banned
    Nice one Nokesy

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    And when the cancer charities stop researching a cure because they can't attract good enough executives to manage the research facilities that's ok, because at least nobody's getting paid a lot

Similarly the charities who have to manage multi billion pound budgets to provide children's services to protect them from abuse - they won't be able to attract a financial director capable of managing billion pound budgets but that's ok as long as nobody gets paid a big salary

Or we try to find an FD who will choose min wage at a charity instead of a large salary plus perks at a private company
    Surprisingly there are still good kind skilful people out there that care more about giving than receiving. Not everyone is a materialistic

As for Cancer check out Rick Simpson http://www.cureyourowncancer.org/rick-simpson.html and see how much he earns

What annoys me is that some charity executives earn around £250k per annum, according to their own published Annual Reports. Some charities adverts talk about saving the lives of children, with your money, but spend it on 'infrastructure' projects. I'm not talking about the thousands of real charity workers who give selflessly to others. They give their time and or money, and do fantastic work for the needy. How much did mother Theresa of Calcutta earn?

On thing that worries me is the amount of times you see people on forums and Facebook who organise events or do personal things then say the money is going to a charity or a family in need that do not seem to be regulated.

People jump up and say "What a worthy cause" and hand over hard cash.

Some say that they hope to raise X amount of £'s but have you noticed that you never see any accounts from any of these events.
    No breakdowns of costs and expenses - did the organisers use a portion to cover expenses, etc and more importantly at the end of it how much was given to the actual charity and the proof.