Notices

Thread: Charities

Hybrid View

Front line workers generally get paid peanuts for a non 9-5pm job, that deals with the emotions and challenges of lots of people with complex needs. I've spent many years doing that too - now have a decent salary but still work very hard for it but at the end of the day, the only reason we do what we do is for the reward it brings. It only takes making a small difference in one person's life to realise why. My charities strapline is 'changing lives one by one' - which we all do, but the poorest paid do some of the most emotionally challenging work of all, on a salary of 15-16k in the main. They therefore also need considerable levels of management and supervision from those experienced and qualified to provide it, to keep them, service users and the public safe.

Most of the time Charity workers work on days off and whilst on leave because it's really hard to just detach in the midst on things when it involves people's lives - I've got better at it in my current role - only because I'm no longer operational - I work to win and develop new services, maintain contracts for existing services and develop partnerships with other charities to save money and improve service delivery - operationally though, that's incredibly tough to do.

And all whilst facing massive cuts to funding.

I would not change one part of my 18 year charity work career - I have met some amazing people, faced some massive challenges and (hopefully!) really helped to make services for vulnerable people the best they can be and helped some people change their lives for the better along the way. And everyone in the sector is the same in my view - if you are lucky enough to pick up a great salary along the way, enjoy - you are in the minority and have probably worked really hard to get there.
    Last edited by Nokesy; 10-08-13 at 11:52 PM.