Notices

Thread: Car Air Con Servicing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks, I may give them a go

Another garage should be able to use a UV light and see where the leak is, saving them time and you money

Quote Originally Posted by bobf279 View Post
    Yes, Halfords did put dye in the system, it worked fine for a few days then stopped cooling so I suspect there is a leak
    Another garage should be able to use a UV light and see where the leak is, saving them time and you money

Platinum Member
    Might be a bit late but for anyone else in the same position try these people

http://harveysautotech.co.uk/

£35 for a regas with a vacum test aswell

Hmmmm!

Some thoughts! If you have a fast leak, you will need to replace a major component (£500 in my old Scorpio, £1000+ in my BMW 730i, or a Lexus GS300): this is for a new compressor, evaporator or whatever. If it is a slow leak, you can try the Halfords DIY kit, which is £25 for a gauge and £25 for the Gas. It worked for me! A garage won't recharge your car if there is a leak, but you will still be charged £25 to £50 for the service. Once you have recharged the car you must use the aircon at least for 1 hour each month or the seals will dry out and the aircon fluid will leak out. Hopefully, the low pressure sensor will STOP the aircon system immediately, or else you will need a new compressor (£500 to £2000). Richard

just to update on vulcanboy post..if a major leak then the receiver/dryer would also need replacing as well as the faulty component..this takes moisture out of refrigerant and the dryer can become saturated very quickly when exposed to excess levels of moisture during a major/fast leak..i have found that the system needs to be charged in order to locate a leak unless of course a previous dye application shows the leak..once leak found the refrigerant is then removed again,most garages i know of dont charge for this part of the service as they hope to benefit from the repair..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Platinum Member
    Had both our cars serviced by T&A in August.
    They are very pragmatic so much cheaper than going to a main dealer but will get a proper job done.
    Would have no hesitation in recommending them.