Notices

Thread: need sat nav advice please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. need sat nav advice please 
    Can car ones work just as well if you can charge it at home would it stick to screen with the cup or would I have to get motorbike one as there out of my prices range. But seen a few cheap ones. That are for cars and read they would brake from vibrations

Banned
    Get a map and a tank bag map holder.
    I used to have a sat nav in my van but it broke so now I have a map, it's a bit torn but still works

If I was going to get one for the bike I'd buy a car one.

Just found this

drumwrecker wrote:

Car satnaves on a bike are not a good idea as there would be no sound. I glance at mine now and then when safe but mostly rely on the instructions in my helmet speakers. Plus the MP3 player is great having just got used to it.
    Where do you get that idea? It's simply not correct.
    I've got LOTS of GPS units... One in each of two boats, a handheld and two car units. All various models of Garmin. If you called me a gadget nut you wouldn't be wrong.

When I went to my dealer to buy a bike-specific unit he actually talked me out of it, explaining that other than being waterproof all such a unit would really do is cost me money. He said that the majority of his bike clients were using good car units and that if it was raining too hard they simply removed them and put them away. So that's what I've been doing.

First point is that most of the good units DO have Bluetooth and MP3 players. Mine do, and they connect to my helmet just perfectly. I started with a Midland Radio unit (BT2?) and that was fine but the combo had no radio unless I connected one to the headset by wire which was a pain. Now I have Scala Rider G4 units and the are even better. Sound quality is quite good and my GPS directions are loud and clear.

Second point I wanted to make is that the bike-specific units don't offer any "traffic" features, which is something I've grown to really like having. It's really great to get a "traffic ahead" warning and an alternate route. Even the top Zumo doesn't offer this.
    Finally, especially if you already have one, using a good car unit on a bike is a lot cheaper. Heck, even if you have to buy one, it's cheaper than a bike unit. And really, I don't like riding in the rain so the few times I get caught out, it's real easy to put the GPS in my pocket so it doesn't get wet.
    http://www.ashonbikes.com/node/2169
    Last edited by Swanny; 11-07-13 at 12:00 AM.

I'm in the process of construction a holder so that I can use my car sat nav on my bike.
    I'm going to use a 8 x 100 bolt, cover in duct tape to make a very tight fit for the hole in the head stock on my bike.
    This will go through a pre cut piece of thick plastic which will be covered in Velcro, pop some Velcro on the back of the sat nav and vola.
    Maybe.
    Also for charging, instead of fitting a 12v socket to the bike I'm thinking about trying a small solar panel to help charge the Sat nav.

Should be finished by this weekend.

Diamond Member
    I've got a bike specific unit that also works in the car.... its a Garmin Zumo 660. Yes its expensive, but does everything I want it to do and is bluetoothed to my phone and intercom (Scala G9) for handsfree operation. I cannot fault it in any way plus its completely waterproof and can be operated with gloves on and you never have to worry about taking it off if its raining or hiding it in a tank bag or other carrier. I have it plumbed into the bikes electrical system powered off the ignition and its fitted to a lockable mount covered on my insurance for loss. Its also got a 5 hour battery life so can use it walking, hiking or cycling as well. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I use a car sat nav or my iphone with a waterproof case and stem mount - got the stem mount and case from Ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...item231e016aca

The car sat nav works but if I was using it regularly I'd definitely get a proper bike sat nav, it has its limitations.

I don't really find the car sat nav much different to the free maps on my iphone which I also sometimes use.

Alot depends on how much you want to spend and how often you are going to use it.

Platinum Member
    We use a car one and have mounts/charger/waterproof case for it.
    I suspect there are advantages to having a specific bike one, but depends on how much money you have and how much you are going to use it.
    We don't have any problems with our car version (Tom Tom GO).

Couple of mates have a 12v charging point rigged up to the battery in the arse end of the bike with a usb charging plug in it. They then have a normal phone usb cable routed to the front of the tank and a waterproof pouch for their phones.

Just use Google maps and keep it charged.

Having said that a similar charging and waterproof solution for my car tomtom would work as well. I don't have voice instructions turned on anyway as they do my nut in so wouldn't miss those!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Banned
    Yea I always had my sat nav on mute, the sounds are far too annoying

Going mount phone to bike till I get pay rise thanks guys

Just used the car one in a waterproof mount around europe. Glad I had maps too as it didn't recognise Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania or Poland as being in Europe.