Notices

Thread: Mixing tyre makes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Perfectly legal to mix brands.
    The only rule of thumb is to have the softer compound tyre on the front - so the back must be a harder compound.
    I ran a Michelin 2CT front with a Bridgestone Bt023 on the back for several months without any problems.
    As long as you follow the 'soft compound on the front rule' you shouldn't have an issue.
    Last edited by Rabb; 05-07-13 at 08:11 PM.

Banned
    It's a shame the Bridgestone BT 023's don't last longer as I'm really happy with the grip levels

Chatterbox
    I'm gonna be doing the same next week.

I've owned and/or ridden lots of bikes with mixed tyres and never had any sort of handling issues. I think tyre pressures is way more important.

This will be the first time, that I can remember anyway , that I've knowingly mixed brands.

It's not something I would readily advocate, and I agree with Nicki and Snowy's views.

I'll be fitting a matched front in the near future, there's still mileage in my existing front.

For me it's just a case of needs must.
    Last edited by Last Train; 06-07-13 at 10:38 AM.
    Everything else is shyte

i wont comment on the 2 different tyres but i am running on maxxis at the moment. i'm using supermaxx sports front and back and dont mind them. i feel confident and they seem to warm very quickly. i have read that metzelers are really good and they cost about the same as a maxxis. just a thought for you

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    This is my opinion - you'll get plenty of people tell you the opposite and that they've ridden for 50K miles on an old tractor tyre at 12 psi and never had a problem.
    I don't often use tractor tyres, this could be why you've had a problem.

I do an average of over 1000 miles a week and have regularly have mismatched tyres fitted depending what is available on the day at the right price and never had any issues. Maybe I'll notice when I get some experience.

--------------------------------
    On the road to nowhere