Notices

Thread: Filtering and the law

1. Filtering and the law 
    An interesting article I thought you might be interested in.

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/...tering_law.htm
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Looking at the date this was back in 2007, and i have a feeling that since then there has been overruled in another court case.

Filtering always has been a horrible murky grey area. I filter and alway do so slowly, allowing as much space between myself and the cars as possible. I also never overtake the first car. Ias I see it if you are considerate, most people don't seem to mind.

i've never been pulled over by the cops yet.... (touch wood).
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

I think as long as you're slow and aren't going past giving people a faceful of loud noise and exhaust fumes very few people will moan. It's the ones who filter at 30mph+ through stationary traffic who make me cringe!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

I agree, only to be done in heavy slow traffic, as much room as possible, be alert and considerate. People will move for you eventually.

when i did bikesafe at castle combe recently,the police had a filtering presentation which was very interesting(included filtering/undertaking on motorways)..filtering is in the eyes of the law perfectly legal past stopped/slow moving traffic providing it is safe to do so but you still need to be alert for other traffic making unorthodox manouvres..once traffic gets moving the onus is on the rider filtering to judge when it is no longer safe to continue filtering(general consensus seemed to be up to about 20mph)..what was more interesting was m/way filtering.again filtering between lanes of stopped/slow moving traffic was fine but best not to use hard shoulder due to risk of debris,also it was deemed perfectly acceptable to undertake providing it was within the speed limit,was safe to do and the rider/driver did not chop and change lanes as this constitutes being unsafe/dangerous..videos were shown of what was deemed acceptable filtering/undertaking..it was a very interesting presentation for most attendees,myself included..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

I did find another article that contradicts my first post but basically it confirms what Al is saying. For the life of me I cant find it now. Just be safe when doing manouvers.

Interesting, Bikesafe policeman at Devizes said motorway hard shoulder is a nono, you will get pulled just the same as a car, strongly recommended between lanes 2 and 3 only if stopped or v. Slow moving. Also mustn't overtake the front car at zebras, pelicans etc. Just some bits that stood out for me.