Notices

Thread: Wheat: The UNhealthy Whole Grain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    It's all this living. Studies have proven that being alive has led to death in 100% of cases.
    Couldn't agree more! Damned living, where will it all end?
    With my bike I am complete.

Banned
    I'm sure you're an excellent baker but that doesn't mean wheat is good for you. I'm sure that many tobacconists declared that smoking wasn't bad for you

Diamond Member
    Potatoes, tomatoes, onions and most beans are toxic.

Puts it into perspective really.

Carry on.

Wheat contains fibre,protein, carbohydrates,iron, potassium, calcium, vitamin c. all these off the top of my head. Hardly the same as tobacco.

http://www.botanical-online.com/engl...properties.htm

Banned
    Just out of interest did you watch the vid??

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Just out of interest did you watch the vid??
    Yes I have watched it. The argument seems to be more based around modern wheats against wheat years ago. Remember this is American and they use Genetically modified wheats we don't.

Also found this from a English newspaper.

Dr Davis makes lots of claims about the apparent harmful effects of wheat consumption. However, his central claim is that wheat promotes weight gain. Is there evidence for this in the medical literature? It seems from a detailed search of academic journals and online resources such as “Google Scholar” that Dr Davis has yet to publish an actual medical trial (based on his claims) in a scientific nutrition journal. The existing medical literature promotes powerful evidence that the consumption of whole grains is beneficial to human health. For example, a study released in the American Journal of Nutrition in November 2004 found that the consumption of whole grains was “inversely related to weight gain”. The study was titled “Changes in whole-grain, bran, and cereal fibre consumption in relation to 8-y weight gain among men,” and conducted by the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health. The sample size for the study was quite large, with 27,082 men aged between 40-75 years taking part over an 8 year period. Whole-grain intake was found to lower weight over time. The study also stated that “for every 40 gram per day (g/d) increment in whole-grain intake from all foods, weight gain was reduced by 0.49 kilograms,” The study found that “additional components in whole grains may contribute to favorable metabolic alterations that reduce long-term weight gain.”

Also found this from Jeya Henry. I think his credentials outway the American guy.

http://www.pfndai.com/10.2.2012_Dr_Jeya_henry.pdf

Banned
    Thanks it's interesting stuff. I agree about America nearly all their food is GMO. I've got loads of food in my house that has wheat in it, once it runs out I'm going to give it a go not eating wheat for a few weeks and see how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Thanks it's interesting stuff. I agree about America nearly all their food is GMO. I've got loads of food in my house that has wheat in it, once it runs out I'm going to give it a go not eating wheat for a few weeks and see how I feel.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Many of the products in our diet contain wheat, cereals for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, pasta evening and even beer you wash it down with. Wheat is great versatile product but we can eat to much of it.

By the way i suffer from IBS, so I am careful of how much bread I eat. I'm not sure if bread is the aggravating factor although i know it doesn't help, also coffee aggravates it.