Notices

Thread: ZX9R Engine Rattle

1. ZX9R Engine Rattle 
    Hi has anyone owned or currently riding a ZX9, i have read many forums online and it says engine rattle is normal, however its still disconcerting. There doesnt seem to be any loss in power and runs fine? It seems to come from the front of the engine but im no mechanic.
    Also can anyone recommend a local garage, i have used JHS racing in bristol in the past and they are very good, but always is a nause getting there and then to work in corsham after.
    Cheera
    Marty

the forums are usually your best bet for accurate info. If you are worried you could always put a long handled screwdriver on various areas of the engine and listen for any knocking, etc. This will narrow it down where the rattle is and you can see if it is in the area of the camchain, this is what I think it is anyway which can be normal.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Watcha Marty
    Want a local guy? Recommend this Chap. Keith knows his onions. (and his rattles). I Use him all the time now.
    http://www.master-tec.biz/
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

I have a C1, my solution, buy a louder can!
    Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

some K motors are noisy especially the ZZR6 ones. could be CCT but more of a rattle... the other option is a stone has got into the exhaust and rattling around the downpipe area. I know Ive been there!!

Cam chain rattle?

The last Kawasaki I had made a rattle.

I was advised to take the end out of the tensioner ( just the cover not the 2 small bolts holding it on) and push on the plunger inside.

apparently K's have quite large steps in the auto tensioner allowing it to be quite loose before it clicks over one notch.

The bad news is that I was working on a KLR 650 single and the tensioner was easy to get at.
    Yours might be a little harder to access

Is the noise getting worse or just the same as it's always been? Kawasakis often have "noisy" engines, especially in comparison with Hondas, kinda comes with the badge. If the oil and filter are changed regularly it's unlikely to be anything bearing-related, so maybe the camchain tensioner is worth looking at. If you have a go, DON'T just remove the tensioner without taking the cam cover off and cable-tieing the chain onto both camshaft sprockets first - with no tension on the chain it's possible for a camshaft to rotate and jump a tooth under the chain, which could end up giving you an expensive repair bill if it isn't spotted before you run it.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Thanks for the responses, i have only had the bike a couple of weeks and my last one was a blackbird which was fairly quiet when running so was just worried the noise was something serious? This is the firsy carbed bike i have owned and first kawaka since my old AR 125 days in the early 90s... I have the bike booked into JHS racing on thursday for a service anyway as doesnt appear to have had one for a couple of years, though has only done a couple of thousand miles since then. I have a remus can( without db killer) on there at the moment and its load enough to cover the noise at speed, and the sound of the air intakes after 4k upwards always brings a big cheesy grin, but need to get hold of a standard one so i can take it to castle comb for a blast out.
    I will update this thread with the good or bad news after its been in for its check up.
    Thanks again for the responses

Just a thought. Have you had the carbs balanced?

If the motor is running lumpy it ain't gonna sound nice.

Hi. I have had my zx9r for a couple of years. It did notice a rattle but ran fine (and still does). I have heard it is normal for this bike. It was fitted with a scorpion can when I got it and i put on a standard one this year - now runs much smoother and I reckon rattles less (scorpion did sound nice though).