Notices

Thread: any help or advice?

1. any help or advice? 
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section

My bike went in for its MOT on thursday. I had no concerns about it at all and was shocked when the tester came out and told me had failed. It failed because of the rear tyre being fitted the wrong way round. The tyres were fit about a month ago and I am going back with the MOT failure certificate and the bill to correct there mistake for them to refund.
    I was wondering if there were any legalities involved with this sort of thing? The more ammunition i can take in with me the better.

You'll be glad to hear though that the bike has its MOT now though and apart from the tyre the only caution was a noisy exhaust I will not be using the garage again either. FYI it was Downton tyre and autocare.

The tread on the tyre is a directional thing as you probably know now. If you look at a bike from behind in the rain the water leaving the tyre forms a spray in a line this is to keep the tyre in a straight line if aqua planing. whilst the tread on the front works slightly different it spends the water on the tar mack which also removes it out of the way for the rear to follow....(if you follow me ?)
    They failed you because in the wet it would of been very unstable. On a plus side with all the rain we are having at the movement you should feel more in control and more comfortable riding in bad conditions.

For your own peace of mind or for anybody else that doesn't know, most motorcycle road tyres are directional, they will have an arrow on the sidewall indicating the correct direction of travel ie travelling forwards, most cars are also fitted with directional tyres too so be careful if rotating corners of worn tyres, rule of thumb front to rear will see you ok, always check your newly fitted bike tyres to make sure there hasn't been a cock up in the fitting bay, its a very easy mistake for that 12 year old spotty kid to make !

cheers for the replies guys. i understand the tyre direction thing and how the tread works so i think i've worded my question wrong. i am wondering if there is any thing that can get them on neglect to check or anything like that? i hope it makes a bit more sense now.
    i'm only after getting the money back that it cost to get the tyre turned back around due to there cock up and was hoping to get some more ammo to throw at them if there is any.

I think it would depend heavily on how reputable they are as a company. Generally, you need to check the work done before you ride off so that it can be fixed. If you go away, in their eyes you could do anything and they would not have knowledge of it. Hope this makes sense.

In short, if they are not reputable then they could say they did not do it like that and that is where your fight ends and neither of you can prove otherwise. Definately worth a go just be careful how you speak to them as you want them to be your friend in this case otherwise they could turn against you and that is the end.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

I cant see them fighting you too hard fella, however it is a really, really easy mistake to make, once the wheel is out of your bike if they don't mark the tyre up for chain/drive side when fitting the new tyre they are in the dark, simple checks will stop it from happening but ultimately time will possibly be the deciding factor, when correcting the cock up if it was recently done and there are no punctures etc that would require you to remove the tyre once more then it would seem unreasonable for them not to hold their hands up.