Notices

Thread: when coming to a stop my rear wheel locks and then the engine cuts out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. when coming to a stop my rear wheel locks and then the engine cuts out. 
    Hi all

Well I have got my ZZR 600 which is restricted to 33bhp.

Yesterday, I kept stalling the bike (only natural), due to it being the first time I ever sat on it.

This morning I went to work and the gear changes werent too bad no clunkyness (apart from when I didnt change at the right time).

On my way home from work, I went to stop at the traffic lights, when the rear wheel locked and the engine cut out. I was able to re-start the engine. Then it happened a few more times. I am unsure if its the way am riding but changing gears now is really sounding clunky. I was going about 40mpp -30mph to a stop...

the first two stops like this werent that gradual as they could have been but when it cut out on the roundabout before my flat it was gradual stop (on this one the rear wheel didnt lock).

I do have a video of this, I am unsure if I am at fault or is the bike at fault?

The bike was easy to restart after this.

The engine was cold

somthing jammed or the engine cut out.... did you have the clutch pulled in when it happened?

Does the bike tick over ok when cold?

Check the chain and sprockets as a starter.

You also need to check that there are no cutout switches malfunctioning or that the gearbox/ primary drive isnt worn or broken.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Its literally just passed its MOT. This morning it was fine not clunky but coming home was terrible. I might not have pulled the clutch all the way in, but really unsure....

Bike ticks over great when its cold.

the chain and sprockets are nearly new(ish).

Could I possibly not be having it in the correct gear?

I know since yesterday am not changing gears at the correct time. So, the clunkyness might be that and when stopping the gear changes are clunky. I think I may need to be more smoother.

My previous bike was a XVS 250 and had many problems but its not as responsive at this bike obviously

Maz I really dont mean to be rude as we all have to start somewhere but is it mechanical or is the gear box just a bit clunky and you locked the back wheel up when braking? It's easily done if you are stomping a bit too heavy on the back brake. You really want to be using a high proportion of the front brake for stopping a bike.

I wasnt engaging the clutch properly. I didnt have it all the way it, I have just took it for another spin and Fing loved it! Not clunky or anything, no rear locking. And i did a U turn!

I am not an experienced rider by any means, I passed my test in 2011 and had a ninja 250 got rid after 6 months due to knee problems, then 6 months later saved for an XVS250 which had tones of mechanical faults, got it in October last year didnt ride it for ages put 280 miles on it due to these faults. Got rid of the xvs 3 months ago then got this one. Its riding position is better than the Ninja. I am not planning on getting it derestricted for some time.

I need to get used to it all over again.

Just came home smiling my face off! I really loved that ride, just changed how I was riding a little bit. My breaking is fine just the clutch control wasnt....

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    I wasnt engaging the clutch properly. I didnt have it all the way it, I have just took it for another spin and Fing loved it! Not clunky or anything, no rear locking. And i did a U turn!

I am not an experienced rider by any means, I passed my test in 2011 and had a ninja 250 got rid after 6 months due to knee problems, then 6 months later saved for an XVS250 which had tones of mechanical faults, got it in October last year didnt ride it for ages put 280 miles on it due to these faults. Got rid of the xvs 3 months ago then got this one. Its riding position is better than the Ninja. I am not planning on getting it derestricted for some time.

I need to get used to it all over again.

Just came home smiling my face off! I really loved that ride, just changed how I was riding a little bit. My breaking is fine just the clutch control wasnt....
    Brilliant

Glad to hear it is going well Maz.
    Time off the bike will make you rusty and especially if you are transferring to new bikes after some time away. Good news to see that a few rides has got you back in love with two wheels, now to keep on that road.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

I know, I am quite rusty! Its the clutch that am finding the most difficult but I nailed it when I went out! I am looking forward to my next outing. Tomorrow I am cleaning the bike and Tuesday (hopefully Monday) ill be on it again. I have a leg tattoo Saturday and I dont want my boots to rub on it. Just means ill bester crazy