Notices

Thread: Clutch Issues

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Only use clutch cleaner if it's designed for wet clutches, if it's for cars leave well alone!
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Only use clutch cleaner if it's designed for wet clutches, if it's for cars leave well alone!

thanks for that mate

I've never bothered with clutch cleaner....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...43094644704785

cleaned clutch plates up. installed them dry and the clutch worked fine.

took apart again and reassembled the plates with some fresh oil on (castrol power 1 10w40 same oil i always use)

soon as i started putting plates back on i could feel it binding.....even with no pressure springs in. clutch springs back in at 10nm torque (per haynes).

pull lever in ....1st gear...back wheel is very hard to spin.

so cleaned plates again and took above video....as of now thats how i left it.

it has to be funny plates? why im at a loss

Can't see your vid....

Sounds like it is indeed somthing goofy in the plates. Prehaps try replacing the plates.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Here is a link to http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/ free downloads for all 600> dont rely on Haynes manuals as they are known to be wrong sometimesok for dismantling but not for specs etc.i always use the workshop service manuals.just had a look at video,you say you torqued the springs down to 10nm but the outer clutch face seems to have a wobble on it should run flat when clutch spins that is what appears to me to be happening.
    Check all your plates are flat by laying them on a sheet of glass or mirror see if they rock then turn over and check other side of plate.
    Last edited by alanTDM; 23-04-13 at 10:48 PM.

thanks guys

im going to replace the plates..............considering everything else is new why not. i will check the plates for warping when i replace them just so i know if that is the cause of my issues.

the real strange thing is i had no clutch issues before the bike was stripped. the engine was dropped out and taken away for valve clearances. maybe i should have left the oil in there???

cant see how a plate would warp by not being used but stranger things have happened!!

Not convinced personally that it's warped plates, as you say they were fine before. have you checked the push rod for grooving ? . I think there is something being overlooked here. I agree with previous comments that the Haynes manuals aren't always accurate, It might be worth, if you haven't already, going on an owners forum to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Just looked at video again, as Alan said outer seems to have a wobble, without oil put the casing back and see it if you have the same problem and look for any signs of scoring on the inside of the casing. From that video I would double check the springs are all seated the same way and all the torque settings. Looks like it might be catching on the casing slightly.

cleaned plates one last time...rebuilt made sure pressure plate sat correctly and flat. took for spin up road..works perfectly......WEIRD!!!!