Notices

Thread: Clutch Issues

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Clutch Issues 
    hi guys

now i have the bike up and running i am having clutch issues.

the clutch will not disengage.

little video hope you can view it https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...89234927011569

so i have taken all plates out

inner basket moves freely in N in 1st gear it does catch the transmission. (i assume this is correct as the inner basket is constantly attached to input shaft)

pulling the clutch lever activates the push-rod and pushes pressure plate away from inner basket. yet i still have drive.

i have checked all plates for warping and they seem fine.

so im left with

either plates are at fault im not adjusting cable correctly or the cable is buggered.

i have adjusted cable as per haynes manual

as usual all advice is greatly appreciated

cheers

Dan

Are the springs ok ?

Silly question #1. Are the plates in the correct order?

Silly question #2. Have you actually tried putting it in gear (with the rear wheel off the ground)?

With the engine stopped, put the bike in top gear. Pull the clutch in and you should be able to rotate the rear wheel by hand. There will be some friction due to the plates and the box. Release the clutch and the wheel should lock up.

Failing this start the engine, pull the clutch in and put it in gear, the wheel shouldn't turn too fast. If it does turn, try applying the rear brake, the wheel should stop.

There are several things you need to check. Is the cable the correct route, (no sharp turns or kinks) is ti the correct length, both wire inner and outer sheath (If it is OEM i'd take this as ok), is it adjusted correctly, do up the adjuster until there is no freeplay in the lever then back it off until a bit appears. are the plates in the correct order and are the springs at the correct tension.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    Silly question #1. Are the plates in the correct order?

Silly question #2. Have you actually tried putting it in gear (with the rear wheel off the ground)?

With the engine stopped, put the bike in top gear. Pull the clutch in and you should be able to rotate the rear wheel by hand. There will be some friction due to the plates and the box. Release the clutch and the wheel should lock up.

Failing this start the engine, pull the clutch in and put it in gear, the wheel shouldn't turn too fast. If it does turn, try applying the rear brake, the wheel should stop.

There are several things you need to check. Is the cable the correct route, (no sharp turns or kinks) is ti the correct length, both wire inner and outer sheath (If it is OEM i'd take this as ok), is it adjusted correctly, do up the adjuster until there is no freeplay in the lever then back it off until a bit appears. are the plates in the correct order and are the springs at the correct tension.
    the clutch was never removed when i dropped the engine. although i have taken the plates out i religiously made sure i put them back in the order they came out (never had clutch issues for 2 years previously so assume there in correct order)

i have indeed had the bike in gear with wheel off ground. with engine stopped and clutch pulled in i cannot move the back wheel.

have checked cable route there are no issues there that i can see.

have torqued the springs to haynes manual. and adjusted cable as you have described.

exactly the same issues

im left with replacing the plates yes?

Whereabouts are you ?

yeovil mate

The only other thing I can think of, off the top of my head, is that the plates have become stuck together, I've had this before, but only after a long time sat still.

The cure is to srtip the clutch and prive the plates apart, which it sounds like your going to have to do anyway. Have a look at the operation with the clutch cover off.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

...and before reassembling the clutch (ensuring that any order-specific plates, such as first or last, are inserted the right way round, and in the correct order), ensure that the faces of the plates are thoroughly oiled, using the same oil that the engine is filled with.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

I would go with the last 2 posts, but be absolutely certain the plates are fitted correctly it is quite common to have to put the last plate in slightly off from all the others if that makes sense.

In your video, when you put it in gear is that with the lever in or out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Father_Ted View Post
    I would go with the last 2 posts, but be absolutely certain the plates are fitted correctly it is quite common to have to put the last plate in slightly off from all the others if that makes sense.

In your video, when you put it in gear is that with the lever in or out ?

lever out...but there were no clutch plates in so wouldnt matter? also i have had the plates apart more than once. and they seem very sticky...when i pulled the pressure plate out the entire pack of plates came out stuck together....so i seperated them and then re-installed them in order they came out.

im thinking of cleaning the plates with a clutch cleaner...check them all for damadge etc ...re oil them and refit