Notices

Thread: MOT questions

1. MOT questions 
    Does anyone know the rules on the MOT for the indicators. The reason I ask is mine flash quicker than normal but not by that much, would it fail. Also, the hazards dont stay on unless the button is held down.

The rear tyre is now level with the wear indicators. At what depth are the wear indicators set at for the rear tyre as the legal limit is 2ml but it looks more like 3 ml at the moment but it is hard to tell as it is close to the middle of the tyre but the tread does not extend that far over. They are BT021's is you need to see the tread pattern.

Sorry for the stupid questions but want to avoid any surprises when it does go in.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

The indicators flashing slightly quicker should not be much of an issue but cheack to see if the bulbs are the correct wattage as this will effect the speed.
    Tyre will need to be checked with a depth gauge simples no question!
    I would expect that the hazzard switch would need to be working corrcetly.
    Just mine opion and I am not a MOT tester.

From a safety point of view I get new tyres before tyre wear indicators are reached.
    If your rear tyre has worn to level with wear indicators then I don't know if an MOT tester will fail your bike at test.
    Ducati Diavel Dark

Platinum Member
    I wouldn't worry about the indicators - as long as they flash and are not on constantly it shouldn't be a problem.
    (Unless in his opinion they mislead other motorists)

The minimum tread depth is 1mm across the whole tread pattern so you should be alright if it's only reached the wear indicator - but, remember tyres are the only point of contact with the road and as such they are THE most important part on any bike.

- By the way these are not stupid questions ; ask away, as someone on here will always be able to help!
    Last edited by Rabb; 11-04-13 at 10:17 PM.

Have a look at the testers manual here: http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm

Indicators must flash between 60 and 120 times per minute.
    Tyres must have minimum of 1mm for full circumference of tyre across at least three quarters of the width.
    Didn't spot anything specific to hazards though so probably not covered?

As above.

If the indicators are silly fast or slow flash it's a fail, but a bit fast is fine.

The hazard is a fail I suspect. If it's an older bike they may not need to be fitted so cover the switch and they'll not test them.

The tyre is 1mm. You'll get an advisory if it is on the wear marks but above 1mm.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

What Jed said. I stood and watched while my bike was MOT'd a few weeks ago and they were doing a gixxer with micro indicators which flashed fast. Over a twice a second and they'll fail it. Might depend where you take it, mind *shrugs* this was at Qtech in chippers.
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

From the comments I should be ok with the indicators. They flash at a guess about 80-90 per minute
    Tyres are just on the wear marks, as long as they are not raised at 1mm I should be ok. (I plan on getting another soon anyway but might need to wait till after the MOT)
    The hazards I will strip the switch to see if it is something simple that is stopping them from staying on.

Thanks for all of your help.

Just found that tread wear marks are set at 1.6mm so that should be fine. Pressure off of the finances for a month or two. At least I dont ride that often for it to be a massive issue.