Notices

Thread: help - dead Hornet :(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. help - dead Hornet :( 
    Battery is a year old, I can leave my bike standing 4-6 weeks and it starts without issue usually. Rode it 120 miles on Good Friday and it was fine. I haven't touched it apart from lubing the chain, went to ride it Wednesday and it's dead.

Clock lights are coming on, but the start button is unresponsive.
    I have tried the kill switch, obviously, and had the battery on an optimiser for 24 hrs and still nada.

I'm such a girl - what do I try next please? I am 98% pissed off
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

When you press the starter, does it make a clicking noise? just because the battery is only one yr old doesn't mean that it is still working correctly, i mean it should do, but its been particularly cold and this may be a contributing factor.
    The battery could be showing a full charge, but still not making enough power to start the bike, or it might not be the battery at all, do you have an immobilizer fitted?

Just going to get it out there... is it definitely in neutral? I don't mean to sound abrupt, don't just check the N light on the dash but push it forward to doubly check...

I did this yesterday when leaving work... highly amusing to myself!
    Last edited by Splash; 04-04-13 at 05:33 PM.
    '12 NC700X

No clicking sound wezzy, no sound at all. There is no immobiliser fitted either. Maybe worth getting a new battery, just as a process of elimination, where the hell am I meant to get one of those!?

Yes, it's defo in neutral - I wheeled the bloody thing up the drive before trying to start it and I've checked it 50 times already
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

Banned
    **Edit**

Was going to offer you the use of an optimiser but I see you've already tried that.
    Last edited by Swanny; 04-04-13 at 05:37 PM.

I did have something very similar happen with the blade, ended up getting a new battery but also a new regulator/rectifier as it was this that was killing the battery, boiled the last one!! Reg/rec problems are a common fault with earlier blades, maybe the hornet too, im not sure.

I'm no whizz at bike mechanics, you need Greenman to comment on this.. but does your electrics (horn, lights, brake light) all still work? then the battery is still charged.. sounds like something is cutting the ignition. have you tried bump starting it?? and have you tried starting it with the sidestand up.. there is usually killswitch on the sidestand.. but usually only cuts the ignition if the bike is in gear and stand down.
    Apart form that... I'm clueless!! lol
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Thanks Wes, I heard the same.
    Chris, Colin suggested it was my parking lights on my FB but I don't have any. Electrics are still working, etc and it makes no difference whether the stand is up or not, in gear, clutch in or out or not too - still nada. Only thing I haven't tried is bumping it - I live on a sloping drive and it's too frikking heavy for me to try tbh.
    Gonna go see what the battery is reading at now, effing bikes are great til they go wrong and I'm too much of a girl to know wtf I'm looking at haha

Might be the starter relay, if that is working ok and the battery is nearly flat it will make a buzzing noise or a fast clicking when you push the starter button.If the battery is fully charged and starter dont work check the Starter relay solinoid.Some have fuses on top if one blows relay wont work.

there is no sound coming from anywhere, it's silent I'll see if I can find the fuses, cheers

edit: checked fuses, all fine.
    Last edited by Goldie; 04-04-13 at 07:13 PM.