Hey Sweet heart! Dont put yourself down, theres enough buggers out there going to do that for you anyway! We all have to make changes and concessions to Old Father time at times.

The older bikes (&bikers?) have their own quirks & idosycincrasies but thats what divides them from the modern plastic rocketships of today that can have so little soul or character! Model A is different from model B by the fact theres an extra 1/2bhp at 1 zillion rpm or the exaust is oval rather than round etc. The old bikes talked to you and could be fixed with a piece of tin foil to mend a blown fuse for the 6volt lights on a dark night in the middle of bum f*ck nowhere! Yes this DID happen to me! You had to plan your braking as the drum brakes were never that wonderfull on a good day rather than now when you can crank a bike over before you hit the brakes... Dont get me started on tyres!!

There are definately 2 schools of bikes & bikers - Old and New! You sound like me with one foot in both camps! AND theres NOTHING wrong with that!!!