Notices

Thread: Hello and Help!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Hello and Help! 
    Hello everyone in Wiltshire
    I am Julia a 42 year old married, mother of 2 and serving soldier. I live in Warminster. This is a long story, but to put it quite abruptly, passed my test in 95 have never been able to afford a bike and car, so never owned a bike. My dad loved bikes to the max, he died in 2005 and left me his 2004 fazer 1000. I couldnt bare to look at it until now. Well last night actually, it is now sitting outside my kitchen window I know nothing about bikes, can someone help, tell me what i need to do first? How much work will need doing before i ride it (Obviously after so long in storage, although it is mint))? How much i should be looking at paying, where i should be getting it done? Even done to where i can get refresher leasons after so long?
    Anyway thank you for taking the time to read all this, hopefully i will on that beauty before i know it

2. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Hello and welcome. I am no expert, but you will find plenty of people here, who are willing to help. Hope to see you on the road soon!

3. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Diamond Member
    Hi Julia,
    Welcome to the forum [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re getting the bike looked over, I'm sure you will have other suggestions from more qualified bikers in the area (had mine 4 months) but I've used Jon at Q-Tech in Bowerhill, Melksham for my company vans & cars and now my bike.
    Smallish company run by keen bikers and who seem really talkable to and friendly.
    Linky: http://www.qtechautoservices.co.uk/
    There are places closer, but I've no experience of them.

Re refresher courses, I passed my DAS with Phoenix at Amesbury (HQ based at Tisbury) and they run them and did me proud.
    Linky: http://www.phoenixtrainingonline.co....e-amesbury.asp

Again I know there are closer ones but don't know how good they are.

Best of luck getting (back) on two wheels.

G

4. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Thank you, so far so good. Sorry about the spelling earlier, i was so excited about getting the thread up i didnt even check it! I will get a couple a photos on in a sec, when i can drag myself away from the kitchen window (bikes just outside) to get washied and dressed

5. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Pics are too big, i dont know how to make 'em smaller so i will just put them on Facebook. Please feel free to add me Julia Eversfield was Kirkham.

6. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Hi and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Plenty of advice and opinions to be had on here! No expert on where to go but personally I used Pheonix in Trowbridge for my FZ1 and Able Training also in Trowbridge (who is also on here) when I needed refresher training.

Hope you get it on the road soon, take care & stay safe - that's a big beastie after so long a break from riding!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

7. Re: Hello and Help! 
    BB,

Thank you, as for the big Beastie, it's only as nasty as you make it.

8. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Platinum Member
    Able Training from Trowbridge would certainly be your best bet for refresher training. As for your bike the advice given on local bike dealers should be ok to get your bike up and running. Maybe a drive over to the Sally to our bike meet would help you make a few friends and who knows maybe even get a bit of free help.
    Anyway welcome to Wiltshire Bikers.

9. Re: Hello and Help! 
    I have managed to get a pic on

I have booked it in with Roy Vincent on Tuesday (anyone heard of him), i couldnt wait. It seems after looking at it proper, there's a couple of things that have been detached; this pipe thing, no idea what it is! The battery (Obviously). I am gonna have to get the manual out.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...a_uk/005-1.jpg

and a link to my new baby.

10. Re: Hello and Help! 
    Looks good, lets hope it's back on the road soon. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

As you say, it's only as nasty as you make it. I've known people who have frightened me to death riding a 125! (Not you HMB!) My FZ1 was a pussycat or a tiger depending how you rode it! 8-)

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”