Notices

Thread: Hiya guys & gals

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Hiya guys & gals 
    Platinum Member
    Hi All,
    Happy to be on-board.
    I have returned to bikes after a 25 year lapse.
    CBT completed.
    Theory test - 7.12.10
    I dont have a full license yet but I am looking to take the test in January / February.

I am thinking of getting a GSXR 750 or CBR600 - any thoughts 'for or against' as I have been away from bikes for so long. Your knowledge would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for replies.

Rabb.

2. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Hello and Welcome Rabb
    Well done on passing your CBT, theory isn't that difficult so don't worry about it, get the Mod1&2 done and dusted and you won't look back
    I've got a xj6s and love it, but others will let you know their thoughts of the 2 bikes you have in mind.
    It's Lilac... not pink!

3. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Hi and welcome to WB [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Where are you based?

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

4. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Hiya Rabb and welcome. Best of luck with the tests. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

5. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Hey Rabb, welcome aboard
    Have you been suduced by the glamour of sexy sports bikes then? My advice would be don't be tempted to go too far and fast too soon, especially if you're potentially taking your test in the middle of winter. It's 25 years since you were last on a bike, and that wouldn't have been bigger than a 125, and you haven't mentioned getting a 125 to learn on before taking your test so you could be going into it a bit "cold". If you do DAS, maybe cut your teeth on something a little more sedate and forgiving than a full-on sports bike, perhaps a naked SV650 or an ER-6, do a few months on something like that in order to learn to ride in real life situations (as opposed to learning to get through a test with an instructor's voice constantly in your ear) and then move on to something more extreme in the summer when you have a few miles under your belt...
    That's just my take on it, many may differ, but whatever you choose to do there'll be plenty of support and encouragement from everyone on here 8-)
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Diamond Member
    Hi Rabb - welcome. I'm a newbie to the forum too (although strangely it feels like I've been here all my life already!)!

Those are some quite serious bikes you've mentioned considering how much things will have changed since you were last on a bike. I've not long passed my test, however I have been riding for the last 10 years fairly constantly, and on some bigger bikes too (where legal to do do of course!)

I went for the slightly older ZX6R (636) as I too wanted a sports bike, but this is the most forgiving of them all, but it retains great performance. Possibly a good consideration for a year or so, and then move up to a Gixxer 750? My dream bike has always been the '98 R1. I'm giving myself 2 years on the ninja, then if I'm comfortable, 2 years on a 750 then get the R1 I always wanted.

7. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Chatterbox
    Hi Rabb

Good luck with your test.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    .... whatever you choose to do there'll be plenty of support and encouragement from everyone on here 8-)
    Everything else is shyte

8. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Banned
    Hi Rabb

Welcome to WB

Nice to meet you today, the gloves are great.
    I passed in June this year and ave never looked back

Best of luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

9. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    hi and welcome to wb [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    i cant give you much advice on the bikes as im still trying to afford my 125 :P

10. Re: Hiya guys & gals 
    Hello and welcome. Can't give you the advice that the men will give you but I started on an SV 650 which was a really good first bike. Good luck on your tests! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    It's all about the ride!