Notices

Thread: Beastly Bonneville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Beastly Bonneville 
    Would you believe it the b*stard thing started 1st press when I got back! > It's sat out in the sunshine laughing at me now!

So, what's wrong with the bonny - apart from it doesn't like misty fine rain but seems fine in proper rain? Any ideas? answers on a post please!! I think its off with the tank and do some checking over of coils etc tomorrow.

Oh well at least I had a good laugh on my pocket rocket.
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

2. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    check for any corrosion on wiring and then wd40 the bugger to the max BB!!!

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

3. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    I really hate faults like this, you spend your life waiting for it to re-occur, it puts you off using the damn thing in case it starts to drizzle! Next thing you know you start turning into a fair weather biker!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

4. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    Diamond Member
    Coils and plug HT leads always a good starting point (sic) and can be worse in 'damp' rather than 'wet' conditions. Are there any idiot safety mechanisms such as sidestand cutouts? I doubt it, but it's fresh in my mind as mine kept cutting out the engine yesterday (I bypassed it for todays gathering and then rode off out of the pub carpark with the sidestand down - doh!). Was it dead on both cyclinders this am or just the one?

5. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    Turning over but not firing on either. When it happened last (the first) time it was firing & would run on one. I checked the kill switch, the side stand switch and every other option possible. Still no go - shoved it up the garden path & left it in the rain & dragged out the Morini. Came back tonight, parked the Morini behind the Bonnie put the key in pressed the button & hey presto running on 2 sweet as a nut!

6. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    Platinum Member
    LOL typical!!

Defo sounds like damp getting in somewhere - liberal WD40 as said will help a bit

7. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    Diamond Member
    I guess you just need to start with the basics and work forwards. The problem as you know is replicating the conditions. If it was me (and all advice/opinions given on the internet are without guarantees and taken at your own risk!!) I would start at the battery and just work forward though the electrics just cleaning everything up along the way. May want to use dielectric grease on electrical contacts (Silicon based) which will work longer than WD40. Doesn't sound like the sidestand cutout if it was running on one cylinder before. Does the Bonnie have a neutral or clutch cutout safety switch as well?

8. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    Platinum Member
    Give it a Bassle Forte! Remember when his Morris 1100 would'nt start? get a stick, branch or anything and beat the bloody thing >, You HAVE to let them know who's boss ;D.

You hav'nt got an HT lead breaking down by any chance.

9. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    I picked up a plant mister yesterday and thought I might try damping various electrical parts with that to see if I can replicate the fault.
    Hope it's dry for Sunday for Bikesafe if I haven't sussed it by then!! or I might have to take the Morini! ;D

10. Re: Beastly Bonneville 
    Diamond Member
    Water and electricity - what a combination!