get about 5k out of my bt020, on my old mans sprint st

2. Re: Changing tyres 
    i done 1k in 2 weeks hope mine are ok

3. Re: Changing tyres 
    changed mine at 6k using bt010's

4. Re: Changing tyres 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinz1000K3
    Really wish my rear tyres lasted 3-4K miles...1-1.5K miles is more the average:/
    Mate,if you're only getting that sort of milage then something is seriously wrong with your pressures,tyre compound or suspension set up.
    I get 3k from a rear but i do run it at 36psi.

5. Re: Changing tyres 
    tbh..was a BTo12s on the back..12ss on the front..didnt like the front end atall..very flighty in the 3figures over bumps..shaking its head alot over modest actions of accelaration, probally due to the very soft compound and steep profile.
    Using BT014's now front and back, very stable, lotsa grip on road use, never been on a track as yet, but hoping should be ok.
    Could probally use a suspesion setup to suit my weight of 16st, but i never had any problems i noticed..rear tyre wear i expect to be poor with 140bhp at the back wheel, me dads zx12 and previous zzr1100 were much the same regarding rear tyre lovin

6. Re: Changing tyres 
    1-1.5k from a rear on a superbike isnt uncommon if riden hard on the road.
    My 1st R1 with properly set up suspension running 38psi rear and 34psi front would demolish a rear tyre in less than 1k and a front in just over 1k, and im a smooth rider, not aggressive and very conservative of tyre life due to the cost. Alot of people are getting 3-6k from a rear on big bikes, but they are generaly running harder tyres or not riding as hard on the road.

Gav

7. Re: Changing tyres 
    Platinum Member
    Ok you jokers! I have been running a Diablo rear,Corsa front so hardly a harder tyre!! As for not riding hard on the road,best you talk to the Swindon lot about our little ride home from the Good friday meet!!
    Sinz's tyre wear could be alot to do with his weight/size and his examples (ZX12,ZZr11) are both very heavy bikes as well so thats not surprising.Gav,if you were only getting 1k from a rear tyre then i suggest you stop using a track tyre on the road and find something more suitable,soft track rubber on the road is a complete waste of time.......thought you might have known that!!

8. Re: Changing tyres 
    I would agree with Gixerboy about the track tyre being wasted on the road - not to mention a waste of money. Let’s face it you are not going to be using it to its potential unless you ride like a complete idiot from the moment you leave the house - not wise on cold track tyres!

As has been said before, weight of the bike and weight of the rider make contributions to tyre wear as does suspension etc. Suggest you actually look at how you ride and how often you ride like it - 50/50% 60/40% 80/20% etc and choose a compound that is a compromise of stickiness and wear that suits the type of riding you do on the road as well as suits your pocket.

It is pointless to have a nice sticky tyre on the back and then tiptoe around because you are afraid to wear it out. Or even worse - be afraid to leave home for more than an overnighter because you will have worn the tyres out on a half decent long weekend riding!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

9. Re: Changing tyres 
    Quote Originally Posted by GixerBoy
    Ok you jokers! I have been running a Diablo rear,Corsa front so hardly a harder tyre!! As for not riding hard on the road,best you talk to the Swindon lot about our little ride home from the Good friday meet!!
    Sinz's tyre wear could be alot to do with his weight/size and his examples (ZX12,ZZr11) are both very heavy bikes as well so thats not surprising.Gav,if you were only getting 1k from a rear tyre then i suggest you stop using a track tyre on the road and find something more suitable,soft track rubber on the road is a complete waste of time.......thought you might have known that!!
    That is not using a track tyre on the road, that was using normal road tyres like pilot sports...with track day tyres i was getting somewhere round the 600mile mark.....

I work in the tyre trade and seeing as little as 1-2k from a rear on a well ridden superbike is normal i affraid to say...

10. Re: Changing tyres 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    I work in the tyre trade and seeing as little as 1-2k from a rear on a well ridden superbike is normal i affraid to say...
    Was not aware - I'll shut up & go!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”