Notices

Thread: Changing tyres

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Changing tyres 
    Look like i get to post the 1st technical question....

Wanted to know if you guys always changed tyres in pairs, or if it was OK to change the rear on it own (assuming its the same type as the front), dont know if i have been commiting some biking faux pas :-[

2. Re: Changing tyres 
    tis ok to change the back, you will probably find that you will get through two rears to every front, maybe even more. All depends on your riding style and how powerful your bike is.

3. Re: Changing tyres 
    it'll be fine if you are putting the same type of tyre on as it'll have the same profile/compound etc
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

4. Re: Changing tyres 
    Diamond Member
    I always changed the tyres separately as I went thru rear tyres in 3-4000 miles max, less (MUCH LESS) if I was taking it up the strip! Any way front tyre was usually in the air most of the time! LOL! Wheelies AND wheel spin at the same time was always an interesting experiance on a very light 2 stroke! <<WEG>>

I love the smell of molten rubber in the morning!!

5. Re: Changing tyres 
    Diamond Member
    As the others have said, it's fine changing the rear before the front. Typically you should get about 4k out of the rear and 8k out of the front. These mileages can always change if you do a lot of commuting and square the tyre off.

6. Re: Changing tyres 
    Thats good news, well as long as I like the tyres on the new bike I should be OK...dont fancy forking out £200+ a time on a new set

We shall see how long these last I know I have some strip time in August (Bulldog Bash), may be timed nicely with a new set straight after.

7. Re: Changing tyres 
    Its fine to change one tyre at a time, you can evan mix makes of tyre...the only thing to watch is make sure you dont fit a softer compound on the rear to what you have on the front-you want the grip at the front end not the rear plus if the rear slides from a slightly harder tyre its easy to control....front slide=tarmac kissing session.

8. Re: Changing tyres 
    That's it, the front needs to heat up quicker so having a grippier front isn't a big thing and can suit a lot of people's riding style, but the soundest way to go through tyres is same profile and same make, this way you know if something goes wrong and you end up "going down the road" you know it was something you did and can look at finding a solution to your riding rather than losing confidence in tyres unnecessarily, because this can effect your riding for a long time.

I know this from experience.

9. Re: Changing tyres 
    Diamond Member
    The golden rule is not to mix radials with x-ply's, which apart from being dangerous is also an MOT failure. Not to mention the rash you will get the first time you use the brakes in anger!

10. Re: Changing tyres 
    Really wish my rear tyres lasted 3-4K miles...1-1.5K miles is more the average:/