Notices

Thread: Chain Cleaner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Its a 'proper' harsh cleaner cheeky mare : and WD is even worse for the 'o' rings than Pariffin......Cheap is what you is girl!!

2. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Lol, if only you knew! ;D

3. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desmojen

Ooooh..........

4. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Quote Originally Posted by desmojen

Edmonds knows plenty about lubrication I've heard ;D
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

5. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Tis true,back in the day I........ ;D You don't wanna hear about it....... :

6. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    I spray a bit of WD40 on a rag and give the chain a wipe when it starts to get grubby. Ideally you shouldn't let the chain get so nasty that it needs a proper de-greasing. If it gets that bad I would replace the chain.

I learned a lesson of not maintaining a chain a few years ago.................went for a ride on Boxing day on my beloved YZF750 then put it back in the shed a waited for the snow to clear. Several weeks later on a ride to work the chain snapped at 85mph.........i ignored the fact that there were obvious tight spots, the chain was bone dry and some of the links were decidedly rusty.

I was lucky cos the broken chain flew up and ripped the arse end of my bike off rather than wrap itself around my leg or the back wheel

7. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Well we won't be taking any advice off of you then Sprocket Boy.......And stop using WD40 on your chain muppett........You lot are sooooooo lazy!
    You know I actually use Castrol chain wax to clean my chain.......But then I never let it get that dirty!!

8. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Out of interest, where/why do you get the info that WD40 is bad for the chain?

I can understand your concerns re. paraffin/kerosene etc, but I'm confused as to why WD is bad news.

Just askin

Jen.

9. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    What it WILL do if you spray it directly on the chain, is penetrate PAST the O rings and remove the grease contained within, by virtue of the fact it is a penatrating oil, and contains a solvent.

Spray it on a rag first and the solvent evapourates very quickly and leaves just the oily residue with which you can safely clean the chain.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

10. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Mmmm I think I have heard plenty ( Ha Ha ). Thanks, guys, I take on board what yer sayin' and good wd takes some beating, I never thought of it as a cleaner, but it's great for getting chain lube throw-off from wheels etc....Rod