Notices

Thread: Chain Cleaner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Diamond Member
    So we've had the tyre and chain grease thread (I do still have a bike which needs that stuff) - anyone going to start the "which oil do you use in your engine" thread? Just kiddin.....

2. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    What it WILL do if you spray it directly on the chain, is penetrate PAST the O rings and remove the grease contained within, by virtue of the fact it is a penatrating oil, and contains a solvent.

Spray it on a rag first and the solvent evapourates very quickly and leaves just the oily residue with which you can safely clean the chain.
    Thanks for that NinjaBrat.......Like I need backing up goddamit....Huh! :-?

3. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Quote Originally Posted by rex the sprocket
    i ignored the fact that there were obvious tight spots
    ok, hands up - im still learning, how do you know there are tight spots ? Im always a bit paranoid about getting the right tension etc

4. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_richie
    What it WILL do if you spray it directly on the chain, is penetrate PAST the O rings and remove the grease contained within, by virtue of the fact it is a penatrating oil, and contains a solvent.

Spray it on a rag first and the solvent evapourates very quickly and leaves just the oily residue with which you can safely clean the chain.
    Exactly, I've know of people who have used WD40 for years on their chain and never had an issue!

5. Re: Chain Cleaner 
    Platinum Member
    Never had an issue with what exactly??? That they were damaging their chain and didn't even know it???
    WD40 is a electrical moisture displacer first and foremost and and aniti-corrision agent and penetrator second.
    Sure,it can clean crap off of your chain and it can/will DAMAGE YOUR CHAIN IN THE PROCESS!!
    So,to sum up,buy a PROPER chain cleaner,thats what they're made for........
    Lets hope we all understand that now eh......... :-?

Right,just to show that I'm not trying to force MY opinion down all of your throats (really I hear you all say??) I have found this article which if you're interested you can read and then make up your OWN mind.......http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...chain-cleaner/

Enjoy!

Thread now locked. GB.